lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 Volt to 48 Volt conversion- battery cable lengths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroGator View Post
Those are some great results! What were your speeds like when you were on 36v? Were you running the Alltrax 400 controller on 36v?
Cart came with a Curtis 400amp controller. Been running the 400 SPM since late spring. Motor is a GE d297. Been running it for ~ 2 years. Cart ran 17mph from new. With D297 would hit 20 mph under optimum conditions but took awhile to get there, would get to 16-17 quickly. But it's much better now!
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

@ kernal: Just curious, what is the size marked on the sidewalls?

My tire height spreadsheet says your motor is spinning at 5186 RPM at 22 MPH.

About your cart taking some time to get to its top speed, try accelerating more gently when you are making a speed test.

In a series cart, top speed is limited by the pack voltage and when you accelerate hard, you drag the pack voltage down and it takes a while for it to recover.

The same thing happens with a sepex cart, but they are not quite as sensitive to small changes in pack voltage due to field mapping.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #13
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
@ kernal: Just curious, what is the size marked on the sidewalls?

My tire height spreadsheet says your motor is spinning at 5186 RPM at 22 MPH.

About your cart taking some time to get to its top speed, try accelerating more gently when you are making a speed test.

In a series cart, top speed is limited by the pack voltage and when you accelerate hard, you drag the pack voltage down and it takes a while for it to recover.

The same thing happens with a sepex cart, but they are not quite as sensitive to small changes in pack voltage due to field mapping.
Golfpro II 205/50-10. I measured circumference at 55.75" at 22 PSI and calculated diameter from that. The D297 motor is rated at 4400rpm at 36v. Don't know about 48v. I hadn't thought about the amp surge under heavy acceleration affecting top speed so I will head your advise. My tests are preliminary. Just trying to get a base line so I can see what the batteries do as more charge cycles are added. Right now they are sitting on the DPI after their 4th
charge.

Edit: FWIW the D297 is rated for 36 and 48v
Old 02-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Golfpro II 205/50-10. I measured circumference at 55.75" at 22 PSI and calculated diameter from that. The D297 motor is rated at 4400rpm at 36v. Don't know about 48v. I hadn't thought about the amp surge under heavy acceleration affecting top speed so I will head your advise. My tests are preliminary. Just trying to get a base line so I can see what the batteries do as more charge cycles are added. Right now they are sitting on the DPI after their 4th
charge.

Edit: FWIW the D297 is rated for 36 and 48v
Basically, you are running stock height tires also. I was just wondering if the Metric tire size system had more accurate heights than the American one. Doesn't look like it.

You already have a pretty decent range. I will be interesting to see how much better it gets as the batteries get broken in.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #15
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hi all,

I al planning on going all out and going to 48v conversion with Alltrax DCX400 PDS controller. I am going to get 6 Trojan T-875 (8V). I currently run 6 Trojan T-605s (6V). Will my battery cables still fit, or do I need to get different lengths to fit the new batteries? I have never seen the posts of the T-875 and am not sure if the cables will just plug and play? Thanks.
Urogator,

Here is requested pic of battery bay with 8v batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2280158.JPG (282.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #16
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks kernal. Are all 5 of those cables the same length? The cable between the 2 rows looks like it can use an extra inch or so, or am I just imagining that?
UroGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #17
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks kernal. Are all 5 of those cables the same length? The cable between the 2 rows looks like it can use an extra inch or so, or am I just imagining that?
All the same. The rear drivers side battery could have been turned around. The only batteries that have to be in the position they are in is the 2 that the mains are connected to, at least on my cart.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #18
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Is it possible to fit 2 more 6v batteries under the seat? I have a 2008 PDS and it looks like it may work. My batteries are new and I didn’t plan before I bought new ones, now I would like to upgrade but the expense of the parts plus a whole set of 8v new batteries makes it hard to justify.
flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Seven 6V-245AH batteries fit nicely.

I believe you have to relocated the controller/solenoid to fit the eighth battery in front of the passenger side wheel-well, but that is relatively easy to do with a PDS or DCS.

What is your goal for the cart speed wise?
What controller and solenoid do you have?
What is your tire height?

You can get 28MPH on stock height tires and a stock PDS motor with a DCX400 controller and a 42V battery pack.

---
My goal was range rather than speed or torque, but I ended up with all three.

If the seven 245AH batteries hadn't given me the range I wanted, I was going to add an eighth battery and relocate the controller, solenoid and 12V DC-DC converter (and some other stuff) on a heatsink made out of 3/16 aluminum, mounted on the frame above the motor.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #20
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There is more then one way to arrange six 8v batteries in a txt tray. Depending on your existing cables you may have to change a few, most likely you will.

I believe this is the cleanest way to arrange 8v batts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image06.jpg (295.8 KB, 0 views)
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO