lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rebuilding older electric EZ-GO

hardheaded..... all of the above ^^ is true and right on the money. the fact that you mentioned that you are "trying to do this somewhat on a budget". doing a complete rebuild can get a bit expensive....or course that really depends on what you call expensive as well. Get ahold of Scotty and talk to him about your needs/wants and how to go about doing this the best way.... get everything from him, and you will be miles ahead if you do.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
Hardheaded
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
First step is gonna be to test that motor to see if it runs. Search on this site for "test run a series motor" and you'll find a post with how to do it, it's really simple. You could take it to the local rebuilder and have him check it out and clean it up, at the very least put in some new brushes if the current ones are worn. This will be the most cost effective.

Next step is gonna be to realize that since you've got just a motor, you're gonna be way ahead to go with upgraded electronics and build your own drive system, and that this is gonna cost a little money.

For your described wants I would definitely go 48 volts, that alone when run on your current 36 volt motor will give you a 33% increase in speed and torque over stock. Then I'd get a controller with enough amperage to get those bigger tires really rolling when you come up against a hill, probably 500 amp. You'll have to have a HD solenoid and F/R switch, as well as running all the amperage delivery (main) cables in 2ga. You'll also have to have a potentiometer to hook up to the throttle for your controller to work, the Curtis PB-6 is the industry standard.

Contact Scottyb at cartsunlimited.net (he's a site sponsor and cart genius) and tell him just what you posted about your wants and build goals, and he'll tell you what you need (the stuff I mentioned above most likely, but if he recommends something different then definitely go with his advice) and be able to hook you up with it.
I will go ahead and contact him now. That way I can go ahead and start getting parts on order to get started with my build. Thanks so much for the info..
Hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #13
criley
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
hardheaded..... all of the above ^^ is true and right on the money. the fact that you mentioned that you are "trying to do this somewhat on a budget". doing a complete rebuild can get a bit expensive....or course that really depends on what you call expensive as well. Get ahold of Scotty and talk to him about your needs/wants and how to go about doing this the best way.... get everything from him, and you will be miles ahead if you do.
Yep, expensive is a relative term. In my case, I already replaced batteries with 36v. But if I go ahead and replace everything else (wires, controller, reversing contactor, solenoid, motor) I figure I'm still thousands less than what a new cart would cost - and I know exactly what I've got, and it's better than what I'd get new. Then when my batteries are worn out I'll upgrade em to a 48v pack.

That's my logic and I'm sticking to it.
criley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by criley View Post
Yep, expensive is a relative term. In my case, I already replaced batteries with 36v. But if I go ahead and replace everything else (wires, controller, reversing contactor, solenoid, motor) I figure I'm still thousands less than what a new cart would cost - and I know exactly what I've got, and it's better than what I'd get new. Then when my batteries are worn out I'll upgrade em to a 48v pack.

That's my logic and I'm sticking to it.
EXACTLY! and what I have done......and will do.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #15
Howard Montgomery
Not Yet Wild

Upgrade on a cart is like a B.O.A.T. ( Break out another thousand ) Hee Hee
But we like it.
Howard Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #16
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

I have replaced almost every component on my cart except for the motor, I think. And I wouldn't have it any other way. It has been a blast. Expensive - but fun!
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #17
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybell View Post
I have replaced almost every component on my cart except for the motor, I think. And I wouldn't have it any other way. It has been a blast. Expensive - but fun!
LOL Kelly....I even replaced/up-graded the motor. If I would have been experienced with carts before I started....and knew I was going to upgrade most or all of it, lift, wheels, tires......I would have just looked for a cart with a good frame and body and started from scratch.....which is what I truly did. All I didn't have to do was mine already was lifted, new wheels/tires, rear seat, extended top, and new upholstery. but all of that would have been easy.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

After having done all that I did, were I to do it over, I'd look for a cheaper "dead" buggy.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #19
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Yeah, I did replace almost everything, but it has been a blast and I learned a lot. And I met some friends and its fun! If I went out and bought a new cart, then I still wouldn't know anything about it, and I would still be sitting all winter with nothing to work on......
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO