lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
gonesouth
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Identifying EZ-Go Model

I have a mid-90's electric 36V Ez-go with two seats and no number plate. I am having a problem with fast battery discharge and now a new one, heat in the area of the controller cover.

Can somebody tell me how to identify whether it is DCS, PDS, non-DCS, etc. There is a heat sink mounted on the passenger side of the batteries, with a flat black box and a solenoid mounted on the box, all under a black plastic cover. Looks very much like the one marked non-DCS Controller 1206 in the sticky post on 1536-basic-ezgo-electric-golf-cart-wiring-manuals.html. (Sorry, too much a newbie to post links)

After taking off the cover I found both solenoid and black box were very warm to the touch, uncomfortable to keep a hand on, but not impossible to hold.

After looking at the various posts here, it seems like there are a couple of ways to go here.........send the controller out for rebuilding.........replace the solenoid..........replace the controller with a new one, maybe a better one which would get me more ground speed.........????

Some of these options require better identification to determine what parts to get and how to put them together. Does somebody have some guidance for me?

Thanks

Jim
gonesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
gonesouth
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Identifying EZ-Go Model

I should point out I rebuilt the FxR switch with new contacts last winter with no problems.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
criley
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesouth View Post
I have a mid-90's electric 36V Ez-go with two seats and no number plate. I am having a problem with fast battery discharge and now a new one, heat in the area of the controller cover.

Can somebody tell me how to identify whether it is DCS, PDS, non-DCS, etc. There is a heat sink mounted on the passenger side of the batteries, with a flat black box and a solenoid mounted on the box, all under a black plastic cover. Looks very much like the one marked non-DCS Controller 1206 in the sticky post on 1536-basic-ezgo-electric-golf-cart-wiring-manuals.html. (Sorry, too much a newbie to post links)

After taking off the cover I found both solenoid and black box were very warm to the touch, uncomfortable to keep a hand on, but not impossible to hold.

After looking at the various posts here, it seems like there are a couple of ways to go here.........send the controller out for rebuilding.........replace the solenoid..........replace the controller with a new one, maybe a better one which would get me more ground speed.........????

Some of these options require better identification to determine what parts to get and how to put them together. Does somebody have some guidance for me?

Thanks

Jim
Does the black cover have a run/maintenance switch on it? If there isn't one it is non dcs.
criley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Look at this.....it will show you which you have.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
gonesouth
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Sir Nuke and Criley. It is non-DCS.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you have a Series cart. (Series meaning it has a Series wound motor.)
The statement about rebuilding the F/R switch with new contacts was a major clue.

The controller and solenoid can get pretty warm during normal operation, but shouldn't get hot. I suspect the high current cables in your cart are 6Ga and most likely have some corrosion embedded in the stranded copper at both ends. If so, they heat up and that heat is transferred to the solenoid and controller.

All of the 6Ga high current cables (13 or 14 of them) ought to be replaced with at least 4Ga cables because the heat they generate is wasted power not getting to the motor.

With perfect cables, a good 36V battery pack, good stock controller and solenoid as well as a good motor and stock height tires (18"), a series Medalist or TXT (body style) cart will have a top speed on a hard level surface in the 13-15 MPH range.

Once the deficiencies in the existing drive system have been corrected and the cart will reach that speed range, getting it to go faster will require some upgrade$.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO