lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #21
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart can't last 18 holes, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimegolf777 View Post
Ok, what exactly does this mean?

Do i have battery issues or is something else in need of repair/upgrade?
well one good thing is that your batteries are still attaining 100% charge. your real question is how far can I go... (RANGE) with age.....you batteries range will decrease. and if properly cared for, will last in the neighborhood of 5 or so years, on average.

EVERYTIME you use the cart....recharge it.....and keep it charged at all times. there are times I may not use my cart for a few weeks, so after I have charged my cart.....and I haven't used it in a week or so, I go and start the charge cycle again to top them off.....its GOOD for the batteries to keep it topped off. and at least once a month, check the water levels.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #22
bigtimegolf777
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
I too live in a community that has a course that runs through it..... for your range estimate, try this, its what I did, and it works. chart out a long course around your neighborhood in your car, at least the 5 or 6 miles. before you start, clear/set your trip meter....when you get back to your house, note the mileage. THEN, with you cart charged/rested, should be the 38.2v as before (100% SOC).....run the same course....stop back at the house and wait for about 30 minutes and check total pack voltage again and note it....do the math. AFTER TRIP / BEFORE TRIP. This will give you a good idea of your range.

AND seeing as how it appears that all you have is a DVM.....We would highly suggest you get one that mounts in the dash that reads out pack voltage.....kind of acts like a "GAS GAUGE". Here is a link directly to one of your sponsors. which is where most of got ours.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html
Sir Nuke,
I already tested the batteries after a full charge (and letting them sit for 12 hours). Those numbers were posted earlier. The most recent numbers are after driving for 5 miles.

So i technically already did that, but i still don't know what it all means. Why has my cart died the past 2 rounds if my batteries are fine? Both those times, the cart was driven maybe 6-7 miles.

If i tested my batteries RIGHT before they were ready to die, what numbers would expect? 1.5V ??
bigtimegolf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #23
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well your last round (9 holes) still had lots of life (80%) and should have lasted another 9 holes no problem. actually, a lot more than that. now we are not sure of your battery maintenance schedule over the last 2 years of their life.....do you keep the cart charged at all times? even in the winter? has it ever gone totally dead? \

the lowest you should ever let a 6v battery get down to is 6v (50% SOC) lower than that, detrimental damage has been done.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:11 AM   #24
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
the lowest you should ever let a 6v battery get down to is 6v (50% SOC) lower than that, detrimental damage has been done.
What's maybe even worse than running the pack down too low, is letting it stay that way for a prolonged period. Even if you only run it down to 70%, it should be charged as soon as practical.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You started at 38.19V (99.8% Soc) and ended at 37.58V (82.3% SoC) and traveled an estimated 5.5 miles, so the estimated max range of the cart without going below 50% SoC, is about 15.7 Miles.

Cold weather does reduce the range, but my numbers are based on the temperature ate the time the 5.5 miles was driven, so you should easily get 18 holes, if the back nine are the same as the front nine (3.0 miles)

There is the possibility that you have a battery or two that drops out under load, but I'm more inclined to believe the problem is something other than the batteries.

When the cart dies, how does it act?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #26
bigtimegolf777
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You started at 38.19V (99.8% Soc) and ended at 37.58V (82.3% SoC) and traveled an estimated 5.5 miles, so the estimated max range of the cart without going below 50% SoC, is about 15.7 Miles.

Cold weather does reduce the range, but my numbers are based on the temperature ate the time the 5.5 miles was driven, so you should easily get 18 holes, if the back nine are the same as the front nine (3.0 miles)

There is the possibility that you have a battery or two that drops out under load, but I'm more inclined to believe the problem is something other than the batteries.

When the cart dies, how does it act?
It just starts to slow down, and eventually will come to a complete stop. Sometimes, before its completely dead, if i let the cart sit for 5 minutes, when i come back to it, i can go a few hundred yards, before it slows to a stop again
Old 04-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimegolf777 View Post
It just starts to slow down, and eventually will come to a complete stop. Sometimes, before its completely dead, if i let the cart sit for 5 minutes, when i come back to it, i can go a few hundred yards, before it slows to a stop again
Take your voltmeter with you and the next time it slows to a stop, measure the battery pack voltage and the individual battery voltages.

Also, is it a series drive or DCS?
What size tires are on it?

Sounds like your battery pack is dying, but the voltage number you posted earlier doesn't indicate they are all that bad.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #28
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Do you use any accessories such as a high wattage stereo/radio, or keep your lights on. Also up in cold weather land a battery cell may have frozen. I'd try jacking the rear wheels off the ground and running the motor long enough to get a voltage reading on the pack and the individual batteries. See if any of the individual batteries has an excessive drop. Also chock the front wheels.

Last edited by jjance; 04-26-2014 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Add more information
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #29
bigtimegolf777
Not Yet Wild

Ok last test run/update.

Played 18 holes today and made it home with cart not dying. Total driving 7-8 miles.

I checked the batteries about 2 hours after i made it home and here are the results.

Can we safely say it's not the batteries?
Old 05-04-2014, 12:33 AM   #30
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Read JohnnieB post #27 again.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO