lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #21
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help!!!! Question about a Marathon F/R switch

OK. My '98 TXT cam and micros are different, and easier to decipher from a photo.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olman View Post
Not to beat a dead horse but that double microswitch is ALWAYS activated the way it is in the picture. Do you guys see that?
Go ahead and beat on the horse, it ain't dead yet.
Yes, the arm on the switch is pressed, but the NC contacts are used, and the NC contacts don't close until the roller drops into the indentation in the edge of the cam.

I had the guy measure the OHMs on the black and white wires at the controller. Here is what he got:
the meter reads 0 when the pedals is all the way up

Ohms in forward read 2500 with pedal on the floor
In Reverse reads 5000 with pedal on the floor

The microswitches on the F/R assembly are doing what they are supposed to do, but not when they are supposed to do it.

Since the direction selector lever is mechanically fastened to the Cam, I'm not sure how they could possibly not be in sync, but they are not in sync.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #23
crash test dummy

i have nothing to add .. but .. i put batteries in an ezgo Marathon this winter and the leaver pointed to the floor giving it f/ to driver & r/ passenger if it as installed with the lever up it would be backwards
Old 04-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
i have nothing to add .. but .. i put batteries in an ezgo Marathon this winter and the leaver pointed to the floor giving it f/ to driver & r/ passenger if it as installed with the lever up it would be backwards
That is another possibility.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #25
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Go ahead and beat on the horse, it ain't dead yet.
Yes, the arm on the switch is pressed, but the NC contacts are used, and the NC contacts don't close until the roller drops into the indentation in the edge of the cam.

I had the guy measure the OHMs on the black and white wires at the controller. Here is what he got:
the meter reads 0 when the pedals is all the way up

Ohms in forward read 2500 with pedal on the floor
In Reverse reads 5000 with pedal on the floor

The microswitches on the F/R assembly are doing what they are supposed to do, but not when they are supposed to do it.

Since the direction selector lever is mechanically fastened to the Cam, I'm not sure how they could possibly not be in sync, but they are not in sync.
What I meant to say (had a senior moment) was that because the roller and arm is bent and messed up, the roller will never fall into the indentation. Just sayin--
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #26
tylerolso
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I bent the micro switch back and now I have full speed both directions which I can live with. Thank you for all the help guys
tylerolso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #27
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerolso View Post
Ok so I bent the micro switch back and now I have full speed both directions which I can live with. Thank you for all the help guys
Good deal!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olman View Post
Good deal!

Good call Olman
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerolso View Post
I am glad you managed to get the cart running to your satisfaction, but the root cause of the problem has not been identified, or fixed.

Bending the roller arm on the microswitch that puts a fixed 5k resistor in parallel with the 0-5K pot-box, so it will not work, only hides the symptoms of the problem, the problem still exists. The same results could have been obtained just by disconnecting the wires from the Pot-Box to that microswitch, without damaging the roller arm.

Personally, I would have preferred to find the actual problem and fixed it rather than just circumventing it.

Granted, I am being obsessive about doing things right, but I spent the last 35 years before I retired, working in a field where people could have died or been injured had I not found the actual problem and fixed it, rather than just making the symptoms of the problem go away.

Okay, I'll climb down from the soapbox now.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #30
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I am glad you managed to get the cart running to your satisfaction, but the root cause of the problem has not been identified, or fixed.

Bending the roller arm on the microswitch that puts a fixed 5k resistor in parallel with the 0-5K pot-box, so it will not work, only hides the symptoms of the problem, the problem still exists. The same results could have been obtained just by disconnecting the wires from the Pot-Box to that microswitch, without damaging the roller arm.

Personally, I would have preferred to find the actual problem and fixed it rather than just circumventing it.

Granted, I am being obsessive about doing things right, but I spent the last 35 years before I retired, working in a field where people could have died or been injured had I not found the actual problem and fixed it, rather than just making the symptoms of the problem go away.

Okay, I'll climb down from the soapbox now.
Johnnie--how did we circumvent the problem by repairing a defective microswitch? It will work because it did work! With all due respect, I feel you are overthinking this thing. Sometimes something as simple as a bent roller arm is all there is to it. We appreciate you Johnnie. It's all good!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO