lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

Default Receptacle advise

Ezgo 2001 PDS 36v Replaced Receptacle and plug about 6 months ago. Never was a tight fit and now it is hard to get a good connection. I noticed my receptacle has one insulator and the other is bare metal. That is the one that fits loosely when the plug and receptacle are connected. Should I just purchase a Insulator like this one so that I get a tight fit? will it fit or is it meant to be on one side like I my receptacle?

Mine is this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-Golf-Cart-PowerWise-Charger-Receptacle-Only-Electric-Golf-Cart-Parts-/271079686639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1d9b c1ef&vxp=mtr

This is the insulator:
wwwrmigolfcarts.com/products/7350-ezgo-powerwise-insulator?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc

and this is one that looks the same as mine but has the insulator sleeve on both pos and neg side.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-Golf-Cart-36V-PowerWise-Charger-Receptacle-Only-Electric-Golf-Cart-Parts-/221413518865?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338d46 2e11

Thanks!!!
lawnripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Receptacle advise

The receptacle with a single insulator on the Positive Radsok is the correct configuration.
If a second insulator is placed on Negative Radsok, your charger may not work, because the battery sense circuit of many chargers use the outside surface of the Negative Radsok and the Auxiliary contact in the charger plug to sense the battery pack voltage.

The reason for the insulator is reduce the possibility of someone sticking a metal object in the charge receptacle and placing a direct short across the battery pack.

------------
The male Radsoks in the charger plug are allowed to move around some by design, so the plug will wiggle a little in the receptacle. If you are not getting good contact, the problem is with the Radsoks rather than the plug or receptacle.

https://www.shopezgo.com/products/Po...roduct_id=1511
https://www.shopezgo.com/products/Po...roduct_id=1516
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Would it be worth trying to put a couple of wraps of electrical tape on the charger plug, to see it that tightens it up? Won't help if the Radsoks are bad, and they may be after-market, but they're only 6 months old.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys! I am still a bit confused. Why is there a exact model of receptacle with a insulator on both the Radsoks?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-Golf-Ca…item338d462e11

The Radsoks on my plug and receptacle seem good .. normal… :(

I have had it taped and that is what originally worked in keeping the whole plug fitting snug. the issue now is that even with the plug and receptacle snug the non insulator Radsok (because of the lack of a insulator taking up the extra space) fits loosely. I removed the Radsoks from the housing and pluged them in directly to see how they fit. the non insulated Radsok has a bunch of play and when I torqued/ bent the cable and the Radsok at a extreme angle while in the plug the charger would come on to full. Otherwise it does not come on or it goes up to about 1 and just hums. I really do not want to buy a other receptacle and plug.. very expensive for me and It is like guessing for me. My cart originally had the ropund clup car set that has a cap that closes on the receptacle side. I liked that one but mine was corroded and not working. I almost feel like using a heavy duty 220w outlet and plug. Any other suggestions?

ps. I am using a 36v PowerWise charger.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

I might need to replace the Auxiliary contact. For Powerwise plug??? ( Johnnie B, this is the part that contacts the non insulated Radsoks? ) Seems like mine is not pressing up against the Radsok with enough pressure, and when I just looked at it it is cracked and I verily had enogh of it left to work with. Does that make any sense?

is this the replacement Auxiliary contact wwwrmigolfcarts.com/products/7353-ezgo-powerwise-contact?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc
Old 04-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnripper View Post
Thanks guys! I am still a bit confused. Why is there a exact model of receptacle with a insulator on both the Radsoks?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-Golf-Ca…item338d462e11
Could be the guy selling it doesn't know how chargers work.
Also, not all chargers use the Auxiliary contact to sense the battery.

You can also modify your charger to bypass the Auxiliary contact.
The attached schematics show how.
The first is how the battery sense circuit is now connected and the second shows it bypassed.

------------
The male Radsoks can be expanded by spreading the split in them.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

You are the man Johnnie B!!! I will take a look at those and prob just bypass it!

Do you have a particular receptacle / plug combo that you prefer? club car round style, Dc etc??

Thanks!!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnripper View Post
Do you have a particular receptacle / plug combo that you prefer? club car round style, Dc etc??
I use the stock receptacle that came with my cart. Same one you have.
The charger I use senses the pack voltage internally, so the Auxiliary contact isn't used.
I occasionally squirt contact cleaner in the female Radsoks and plug the charger plug in sever times while it's still damp.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

Ok thanks! I always clean both ends like that. I just added some solder to the Auxiliary contact piece to extend its reach and add pressure to its contact with the Radsok. Seems to be working now. So I will either bypass the Auxiliary contact or have someone bring down a replacement Auxiliary contact.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

ps. what type of cable are you running from the battery post to the receptacle- size- strand type etc…?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO