lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
interstate
Gone Wild

Default new project cart: reverse only

1996 ezgo txt with tow/run switch on controller cover and 10 pins on top of controller.

Cart was a mess when acquired. Previous owner could not figure out why it stopped running and someone hacked wires.

Service manual has helped me verify the dcs is functioning, the F/R switch and micro switches test properly. Replaced solenoid, which now clicks properly.

The cart will accelerate properly in reverse while on jack stands. It only stutters slightly in forward and the wheels never accelerate.

I suspect the controller must be bad. I am concerned that the motor may be bad. I would appreciate some advice on how to verify which is damaged and which is good. I would hate to buy a new controller and fry it due to a hurt motor.

Also, what is a GOOD price for a reconditioned or used stock controller?
interstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: new project cart: reverse only

it appears it could be an issue in the high current circuit....have you verified that all high current cable connections are tight? and have you been working in the cart, or did it just start acting up?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
interstate
Gone Wild

I just brought the cart home, sold "as is". Owner said he couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and gave up.

Removing the solenoid revealed a certified refurbished controller, so this cart obviously had issues in the past.

I just need to get it running reliably and on the cheap.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

hmmmm so it was/is a basket case of sorts......right now....the only suggestion I have is the one I stated in the last post, AND get a wiring diagram and trace every wire out to ensure its actually wired properly.....ya never know what the last owner did WRONG. and you have to assume that he did SOMETHING wrong.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
interstate
Gone Wild

I have used the service manual and diagrams to sort everything out. According to the troubleshooting guides in the service manual all the pins are delivering the proper voltages, the switches appear to work, the solenoid is engaging properly, the throttle control voltages are spot on. Reverse works, just not forward.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:45 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well considering what you have done, and the troubleshooting you have done, you already know its down to two things....either motor or controller. Have you thought about temporarily swapping motors to see if that's the issue? as if you can swap motors, it should confirm one of the two.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
interstate
Gone Wild

Unable to swap motors. Hoping to learn of a way to test the motor.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If the motor works in one direction, it's not the motor. Regardless of whether it's a series or sepex motor, in general, it either works or it doesn't.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:01 AM   #9
interstate
Gone Wild

Thanks, yurtle, I was hoping to hear that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO