lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #31
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery no water again

Read Post #9. Plug in charger and check voltage right after it shuts off and see how that compares with the numbers listed. If it's hitting those voltages and not shutting off, that's your test. You can check every half hour or so, and check pack voltage. You don't have to baby-sit it, but if you have a DMM with a peak voltage function, you can use that. If you know it's gonna take several hours, based on SOC, you can wait until it's close to shutting down before measuring.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2014, 12:50 AM   #32
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Also read my post #4 and #12. I think we are failing to communicate somehow. We Just can't seem to get across. The charger is bad. The charger is bad. The charger is bad. The charger is bad. Take it somewhere and get it checked out or buy a replacement.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #33
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Without rereading the whole post again, he did mention in Post #1 that 5 out of 6 were empty. It is "possible" that one battery is bad, causing the others to overcharge.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #34
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

yurtle; Yes anything is possible. If 5 out of 6 batteries was empty was one of them full? In cgtech's post 9 it was suggested making some voltage readings and again in yurtle's post 31. I have reviewed this whole thread and there is not one voltage reading furnished. Charger has amp meter on it. No amp reading furnished during charging or how long it indicates a charge. Also apparently second set of batteries this has happened to. Borrowing another charger to substitute has been suggested twice.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #35
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yes, you guys are giving solid advice. He needs to check out to see if he has one bad battery.....or hook up his tongue to a 220-V outlet and perhaps shock himself into getting the message. (Recalling a scene from "One flew over the cuckoo's nest)
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #36
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaddyrabbit View Post
Is there any way to check my charger to verify its bad before I spend $300 for a new one?
Yes.
Disconnect the charger from the cart and wall outlet.
Plug charger into wall outlet.
If it hums, the internal relay has been bypassed, (Most likely due to the control board being defective.)

If it doesn't hum, plug into cart and then it should start humming.
The ammeter on charge should quickly climb to about 18-20 amps and stay there until the battery pack's On-Charge voltage climbs above about 40V.
Then the amps will start tapering off to about 8-10 amps as the On-Charge voltage climbs to about 42V.
Then the amps will continue to decline to about 2A while the voltage stays at about 42V.
At that point, the On-Charge voltage will start increasing while the Amps remain at about 2A.
The On-Charge voltage will increase until about 45V, at which point the control board is supposed to shut off the charger.
All the while the On-Charge voltage is 42V and above, the batteries will be gassing.

-------------
While the On-Charge voltage is staying stead at about 42V, measure the On-Charge voltage of each battery. Each should be about 7.0V and all should be close to the same voltage. If not, the batteries are not charging equally and further investigation is needed to determine why.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #37
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
All the while the On-Charge voltage is 42V and above, the batteries will be gassing.
JohnnieB is a wealth of knowledge. OTOH, all I can say is when I'm "gassing" I have no way of checking to see what my voltage is, or if my water is boiling or not.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #38
mdaddyrabbit
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Yes.
Disconnect the charger from the cart and wall outlet.
Plug charger into wall outlet.
If it hums, the internal relay has been bypassed, (Most likely due to the control board being defective.)

If it doesn't hum, plug into cart and then it should start humming.
The ammeter on charge should quickly climb to about 18-20 amps and stay there until the battery pack's On-Charge voltage climbs above about 40V.
Then the amps will start tapering off to about 8-10 amps as the On-Charge voltage climbs to about 42V.
Then the amps will continue to decline to about 2A while the voltage stays at about 42V.
At that point, the On-Charge voltage will start increasing while the Amps remain at about 2A.
The On-Charge voltage will increase until about 45V, at which point the control board is supposed to shut off the charger.

-------------
While the On-Charge voltage is staying stead at about 42V, measure the On-Charge voltage of each battery. Each should be about 7.0V and all should be close to the same voltage. If not, the batteries are not charging equally and further investigation is needed to determine why.

Thanks my friend!
mdaddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO