lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #21
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Resistor cart gets hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
if it was safe to wire the motor to the batteries the manufacture would of done it
there are times when you need to control the speed of the cart ... crowds, parades , turns , and pulling in to parking space
I can see bypassing the resistor completely and only having 1 speed, but when you have 5 speeds and the last one is WOT anyway, whats the harm in bypassing the resistor at that point? At that point on the wiper board, the current doesn't even pass through a resistor coil the way the factory wires it.
tyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #22
tculpepper
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Exactly. You aren't always running wide open, only when the pedal is pushed all the way. Just like with original wiring, only not weak points in between.
tculpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #23
crash test dummy

i see ... ok ... your over kill is good but not needed ... it's a matter of one nut and bolt

Newbie22 if i remember right the ezgo does not have a heat shield
, i know on my club car there is an aluminum heat shield , you might look into getting one for the cart
Old 05-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #24
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Not sure what year you are running, but here is the one I ran on my 86.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-Maratho...-/380469293633

Worked great. It did get hot, but never hot enough to catch on fire. Like I said before, I ran it to the point of melting the F/R switch, and it didn't phase the resistor at all. Since I primarily used mine offroad at the deer leased, I did add a thin gauge steel shield underneath it though to prevent tall grass and stuff from contacting the coils when parked. Last thing I wanted was to catch the woods on fire.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #25
tculpepper
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

That's what my I'm guessing stock resistor shield looks like. like you said, it does get HOT! I like the idea of putting a shield on the bottom. I'll have to add that to my to do list. Catching everything on fire and burning down the woods is not my idea of fun.
tculpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #26
Newbie22
Not Yet Wild

Tyhuck, that not quite what mine looks like, mine is the red fibre board style, but maybe if I put one in like that one it would eliminate the fibre catching on fire......
Newbie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #27
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie22 View Post
Tyhuck, that not quite what mine looks like, mine is the red fibre board style, but maybe if I put one in like that one it would eliminate the fibre catching on fire......

we never asked or i missed it

Old 05-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #28
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie22 View Post
Yeah, what you described is exactly what my 86 model Marathon had when I got it, but the resistors were corroded (some in half) and the fiber board was crumbling, so I replaced it with the upgrade. I didn't even run the factory resistor, obviously because it wasn't a complete circuit, but also because I was afraid of a fire.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #29
phnguyk
Getting Wild

The motor is probably on it's way out, it's probably running inefficiently (windings worn, brushes worn, bearings worn) drawing a high amount of amps. Higher amps cause the resistor coils all the way to the batteries to run extremely hot. I'd either convert, buy different gc, or try having motor rebuilt/rewound.
phnguyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #30
phnguyk
Getting Wild

btw the resisitor coils are probably worn which will cause excessive heat, just replacing them may work for a bit but will be overheated sooner than later.
phnguyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO