lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
HOTWHEELS
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo fail

'99 EZGO. Cable from A post on motor to controller burnt in to. Replaced with automotive battery cable. Ran great. Shut it off and tried to try it again. Would not move fwd. or rev. solenoid just clicked. After 10 minute would run fine. What's up??????????????
HOTWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo fail

A poor connection probably caused the cable to burn into. Where did it burn into? Why it went back to running after stopped no clue. Do you have a voltmeter to trouble shoot with next time it stops? Model of cart and the terminal on motor where is connected (probably A1 or A2) would be helpful too.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
HOTWHEELS
Not Yet Wild

The cable is to motor post A1 . It burnt into at the control switch. I was only able to purchase a automotive battery cable. Could there be a bad spot on the armature, etc. It runs fine until I shut it off. Then nothing. I dont have a volt meter just a test light. Where would I test for a failure? Thanks for the reply. Im lost and my electrical skills are suspect
Old 05-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTWHEELS View Post
The cable is to motor post A1 . It burnt into at the control switch. I was only able to purchase a automotive battery cable. Could there be a bad spot on the armature, etc. It runs fine until I shut it off. Then nothing. I dont have a volt meter just a test light. Where would I test for a failure? Thanks for the reply. Im lost and my electrical skills are suspect
By the control switch you mean the little round thing that has two large wires and two little ones and goes click when you press the accelerator pedal or the controller A1 connection? Model of cart and your possession of a voltmeter would help us help you. Which ever end burnt off is probably where to look. A test light might help if it is a 36 volt or whatever voltage system you have. JohnnieB comes highly recommended.

PS: What do you do to get it running again to know it won't start back up when you switch it off and back on??
Old 05-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
HOTWHEELS
Not Yet Wild

Sorry, for the lack of information. 1999 EZGO TXT 36volt. The part I refer to as a controller is the Fwd/Rev switch. The stud where the A1 cable attaches is where the cable burnt through at the connector. There has been a intermittent burning smell for sometime. I replaced the cable and it did fine. But after shut off and restart is was like dead. Only the solenoid would click when depressing the pedal. The cart wouldn't move fwd. or rev. One time I pushed the cart (in gear) forward with the key on and it jumped forward and ran fine until I shut it off. Then same problem. I let it sit for 30 minutes. Came back and it moved normally. But later, would not, solenoid clicked was all. thats where I'm at. Thanks
Old 05-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Sounds like maybe a bad spot in the motor. Next time it does this, release the brake and get it rolling then jump in and hit the pedal. If it takes off and runs ok I would guess that is your problem.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't think a bad spot on the motor would cause one end of a cable to burn into. Next time you get it to run feel around for hot connections around the fwd/rev switch when you stop. I am assuming the fwd/rev switch is near your right knee. Don't get burned. If you have access to a infrared hand held temperature device would help you look for hot connections. Poor connections can get red hot. You possibly still have a bad connection. Connections get hot and open up and when they cool go back to making some degree of contact. That is about all I can suggest except be careful and don't run over something or get run over messing with it. I suspect something is wrong with a connection in the FR switch assembly where the cable burnt into.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

A bad cable end is likely due to corrosion. If one is bad, there may be more. Corrosion causes excess heat. You FNR switch may have suffered damage, causing an intermittent connection. Works when cool, but intermittent when hot. Check ALL cable ends for corrosion and tighten them. Careful, as it's easy to over tighten battery terminals. You may want to take your FNR apart to inspect the contacts. If they get too hot, they can melt the plastic holdler, which would cause more resistance and heat.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO