lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #11
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Broken bolts

You guys think Rapid Tap would help drilling out any. It helps taps cut through metal, and seems like I've used it sometime in the past with drilling because I was out of oil. Heat is a killer on drills, even high speed drills.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Like ja said, you need good quality bits. Cobalt drills(not Kobalt) are pretty good with withstanding heat. If it's hardened bolts, don't bother with Bosche or Dewalt, their descent but, will dull alot quicker than a good cobalt drill will IMO. But like they said, plenty of oil, of some sort.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I use left hand bits and, obviously, a drill with a reverse. Like has been stated, a drop of oil every few seconds, the highest quality bits you can find and a sharpener. The Drill Doctor is a decent one and can be found at Home Depot, Lowes Ace and most other major big boxes. But, at about $120, it might be cheaper to buy new bits. Better quality sharpeners will run as much as $300.00 and more.
Using the left hand bits apply pressure, to the stud, in the direction you actually want it to go in anyway. Norseman, Morse, McMaster and snap-on are some of the better quality brands.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #14
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Yes, cutting oil is different. I have used it to tap out worn holes before, and it does somehow make a difference, IMHO.
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #15
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybell View Post
Yes, cutting oil is different. I have used it to tap out worn holes before, and it does somehow make a difference, IMHO.
And it smells like crap too. That's how I know it's working.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #16
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Wait till he tries to drill stainless.
Slow speed is important on any metal it keeps the drill bit and the material from getting too hot. When the bit gets hot it dulls quicker when stainless gets too hot you might as well grind a hole. Plenty of oil also anything is better than nothing. I try to drill metal at a couple hundred rpms even aluminum. Left handed drill bits are great for studs where you can't reach the other side but the windshield bolts on a txt are access able from the other side so I would use a right hand bit when it finally grabs the bolt it will go the rest of the way through. Make sure you cut the shoulder off the bolt if it has one. Start with an 1/8" bit or smaller and use a center punch to start. Go slow if you have someone to spray oil every few seconds that will make it easier. Almost forgot the real cheap bits won't last long like everyone has been saying get some good ones. If you keep that bit square in the center the threads will be fine when you're done
Happy drilling
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #17
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't been able to try them yet and probably won't until at least Sunday but I'll let you know how it goes.
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
jacannon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If you have a wire welder, you can sometimes weld a nut on what is left of the bolt and just unscrew it. With a good cutting torch and a steady hand, you can blow also blow bolts out of blind holes.
jacannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If you try that, may want it to soak in some penetrating oil after welding the nut, but before trying again.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO