lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2021, 11:50 AM   #1
tstrauss
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 par car no charging voltage

I have an 89 par car gas (5K vin). New starter/generator and new voltage regulator. Still no charging. Ran full field test on new generator and it will not put out anything. Starts great, just no charging voltage. It has 3 solenoids, appears to have a starter solenoid, forward and reverse. I can't find any wiring diagram for this cart. 89 manual shows one solenoid so I have no idea if things are wired right.
tstrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:46 AM   #2
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Default Re: 89 par car no charging voltage

Did you get a chance to try the troubleshooting procedure in the service manual? The generator part starts on page 80.

https://evtechnicalservices.com/onli...ctric-99496-89
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:01 PM   #3
tstrauss
Not Yet Wild

The manual only shows diagrams for one solenoid and five solenoid systems
Old 09-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Your specific manual, which includes a diagram, can be found here:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/colu..._1989_GSEL.pdf

If your generator is new and your VR is new then you have to have a wiring issue there. Replace all of the wires associated with your charging circuit.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #5
tcanthonyii
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post

If your generator is new and your VR is new then you have to have a wiring issue there. Replace all of the wires associated with your charging circuit.
Or one of the parts is bad. Electronics are fickle, It would be possible for either to be bad. I went through 3 coils on my motorcycle this summer alone for instance.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #6
tstrauss
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post

This manual does not show a 3 solenoid system. This is whats confusing me.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:10 PM   #7
tstrauss
Not Yet Wild

Wondering if I can hook things up like a single solenoid system, wiring everything to the starter solenoid like a single solenoid system. In reference to the starter/charging circuit. Should not affect the forward/ backward operation?
Old 09-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yeah, I am making an assumption that new means good which isn't always the case with China parts.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I am sorry. I just don't know the 89s as well as the earlier ones. Is your key switch original? I know some people converted the OEM key switches with a basic switch which requires two additional solenoids. Assuming you have an OEM key switch I can't see any reason why you couldn't wire it to one. You will need to add some diodes into your circuit per the diagram but that's not a big deal.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:12 PM   #10
tstrauss
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. Ya, after reading for HOURS I think somebody changed the ignition. Everything appears to be hooked up correctly. When the keys is forward, the forward solenoid activates and the starter turns clockwise, and when the key is in reverse, the reverse solenoid activates and the starter turns in the opposite direction. The whole thing is pretty simple really. When I jump a power wire to the DF terminal on the starter generator, it begins to charge. The voltage regulator is only sending power to the generator for a split second at start up. Shouldn't this voltage regulator be exciting the generator any time voltage drops below 12 roughly? Talking to the previous owner, it had no regulator before, the DF terminal was wired directly to power. This is prolly why it was burning up batteries. I wonder if this new voltage regulator is bad? In the automotive world regulators work a little different. Is that how a 3 wire par car regulator works? Sends voltage the DF terminal when battery voltage goes below 12?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar