lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
bigonpig
Not Yet Wild

Default 1993 EZGO won't start!

Ok, on-going saga with this cart. It is a 4 cycle with the 295 Pre-MCI Robin engine. The guy who I bought it from said all it needed was a new starter and solenoid; I have actually replaced the majority of the electrical system and wiring but still no start. I have spark from the plugs but they didn't seem wet after pressing the throttle. I pulled the carb and it was in terrible shape, so much so that I replaced it. Checked the fuel pump but it seems ok and fuel is flowing from the tank to the carb. Installed new carb--still no start. Haven't checked compression yet but plan to as soon as I get ahold of a tester. There is also an oil leak, appears to be coming from the bottom of the engine. I've been working on this thing for a few months now and it's really making me crazy. I'd say it was driving me crazy but clearly it's not driving anything right now. Any thoughts on what my next steps should be?
bigonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1993 EZGO won't start!

I always see guys giving advice to set the valve clearance at .004". That might be a good place to start.

The 2 strokes have issues with clogged exhaust. I didn't think it would happen much on a 4 stroke like yours, but a few guys have reported that was the cause of their no start issues. Maybe check that too.

Let's think about the basics. Fuel, air, compression, and ignition.
I don't know if anybody has ever sheared a woodruff key on the flywheel, but if they did, it would throw off the timing.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
gmcman317
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I would def say check the valve clearance. I had the same prob with mine when I bought I have the exact cart as you except I have the 350cc engine. Hopefully it works good luck. :)
gmcman317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
bigonpig
Not Yet Wild

I've been meaning to disconnect the muffler and try again but haven't gotten around to it. Can anyone walk me through checking/setting the valve clearance? I've down loaded the repair manual but the extra input would definitely help!
Old 05-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #5
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...djustment.html
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #6
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Are you sure that the fuel is pumping to the carb? Pull the line off the carb and see if it spurts fuel when you press the pedal.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
bigonpig
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the link to the sticky. Fuel is getting to the carb, verified as you described. Someone told me that a vacuum can form in the carb that would prevent fuel from flowing into the carb bowl but I'm not sure if that is true and if so how to correct that?
Old 05-29-2015, 11:10 PM   #8
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I've not heard of a vacuum like that but if the float were not adjusted properly, as in too low then it may be keeping fuel from going up the main jet. If there is good fuel going into the carb then there has to be a restriction in the carb. Hard to believe that a new carb isn't letting fuel into the engine tho. And did you get the compression readings?
Old 06-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
bigonpig
Not Yet Wild

I did the compression test last night: 50 from one side and 80 from the other. I'm guessing this is not good. I pulled the carb and there was plenty of fuel in the bowl and I removed the muffler too, just for fun. Would a valve adjustment help or is this engine too far gone?
Old 06-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I would say definitely adjust the valves first, then plan on new rings. I believe your compression should be somewhere around 150-180.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO