lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #11
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Got a voltmeter on my 94 EZGO that won't turn over heres what I got !

This is like pulling teeth.
You are losing voltage somewhere. I am trying to determine where.

I want to eliminate the battery as a possibility first, and then go from there.

It could be bad cable connections at the battery, frame, solenoid, or selector switch.
I could be a bad selector switch.
It could be a bad solenoid.
We need to eliminate the battery first. What voltage are you getting from the load test?
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #12
Mobug
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Got a voltmeter on my 94 EZGO that won't turn over heres what I got !

Sorry cart around, I am at work and won't get to fiddle with it till tomm. Thanks for your input and please check back tomm. and I will have the info for you. Thanks to all.
Mobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #13
Mobug
Not Yet Wild

Okay, did the load test on battery. When I press the pedal I still get 12.7 at the battery terminals.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #14
Mobug
Not Yet Wild

Just to add this, when I run a jumper from the big positive side of solenoid to the little terminal next to the big negative terminal the solenoid clicks. Running the jumper to any other does nothing. Anything?
Old 05-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #15
Mobug
Not Yet Wild

Come on guys, don't leave me now.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #16
my1423
Gone Wild

Quote this post and input voltages after =

Voltmeter - grounded to - battery terminal.
+ to battery terminal= Cranking=
+ to battery cable off the terminal = Cranking=
+ to solenoid input Big cable =. Crank it Reading while cranking =
+ to solenoid output Big cable =. crank it reading =
+ to ignition switch left = crank it reading =
+ to ignition switch right = crank it reading =
+ to Micro switch left= Right= while cranking L = R =
+ to solenoid field+= while cranking=
+ to solenoid field-= While cranking=

Voltmeter - grounded to frame.
+ to solenoid input Big cable=. Crank it Reading while cranking =
+ to ignition switch = crank it reading =

Voltmeter - grounded to starter gen.
+ to solenoid input Big cable =. Crank it Reading while cranking =
+ to ignition switch = crank it reading =

Verify you have the correct wires feeding the field side of solenoid.
No voltage present at field coil when key is off.
Voltage appears only when switch is on and pedal is pressed. Verify it is at + side field not neg wire. If you have voltage at both sides then you have a bad ground wire or wired incorrectly going to the solenoid.
Run a jumper from the + battery to + field solenoid does it click and start turning over engine? If it buzzes or clicks repeatedly
Go from - battery to - field coil and crank it.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #17
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Definitely check everything that my1423 posted, it is eliminating each end of each cable at a time.

Also remember this, you basically have no voltage drop. The signal isn't getting through.

You changed the solenoid, and it worked for a while. The problem is probably in one of the wires that you disturbed while changing the solenoid.

My experience is that the positive battery cable is the one that corrodes first. Check that one real good.

One more thing. This is a 94. I assumed that it is a 4 stroke engine. Is it?
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #18
Mobug
Not Yet Wild

Yes sir a Robbins 295 I believe. Thank you so much for all the info. Got to work a double tomm. But, should be able to post results Friday. Thanks for all the excellent info guys.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #19
Mobug
Not Yet Wild

Okay, back now after work and Mothers day. I took battery to local auto parts store and they said it checked out okay. So now here is what I got:

Neg. battery terminal to pos. battery terminal 12.7 volts
cranking 12.7

Neg. battery term. to big Pos. term. on solenoid 12.7
cranking 12.7 to 13.0

neg. battery term. to little term on solenoid next to big pos. term 0 volts
cranking 9.2 volts

neg. battery term. to little term on solenoid next to big neg. term on solenoid 0 volts
cranking 12.0 volts

neg. battery term to big neg. terminal on solenoid 0 volts
cranking 8.8 volts to 9.1

neg. battery term. to selector switch 12.7
cranking 12.7

Neg. battery term. to both terminals on ignition switch (key on) both read 12.7 volts Cranking both read 12.7 volts (key Off) Only one reads 12.7

neg. battery term. to microswitch top 0 volts
cranking 12.1 volts

neg. battery terminal to bottom microswitch 0 volts
cranking 12 volts

OKAY now this is weird, 2 days ago If I ran a jumper from my pos. battery term to the little term. on solenoid next to big neg term, nothing
jumper from pos battery term to starter nothing.

BUT! while taking these reads, I noticed my cart stop clicking when I was pressing the pedal. Then I noticed that I am NOW basically getting 0 volts at any spot I was before. Nothing past the solenoid, I get 12.7 at the big positive term on solenoid and nothing no where else cranking or not. BUT when I take my jumper now and go from Posit. on battery to little term. on solenoid it turned over, then when I ran my jumper from the posit. on battery to starter gen. terminal it turned over. Now it has stopped, and I get no reads past the solenoid cranking or not and now the jumper does not work in either spot but it does make solenoid click when I hit it from the positive terminal to the little on solenoid. I am lost. Any ideas, I went in to this today thinking my starter may be bad what do you think?
Old 05-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #20
Mobug
Not Yet Wild

Just thinking, if the starter gen. is good, shouldn't it turn over every time I jump it from positive terminal of battery to starter term. on starter?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO