lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
charley654
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 G22A CVT issue

2006 yamaha g22a golf cart, CVT issue.

On flat or hill it takes off fine, but about mid speed there is a sharp grab and switch into higher gear, what I mean by that is belt goes to high drive.
The cart cruise along fine. When comes up to a hill it seems to be stuck in this high gear mode does not transition back to lower gear and the engine starts to bog down, then when the cart slows enough it goes back to lower gear mode. The transition is not smooth.

I know it does not have gears it is a CVT, but this is best I can describe it.

Belt could be original, I do not know, I bought it used.
Had it for about 5 years now.

Could it be a belt issue or I am looking at other problems?

please help
thanks
charley654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
yamarancher
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2006 G22A CVT issue

make sure your clutches are moving freely, secondary should have a grease zerk on it.that could cause it to not shift correct.
yamarancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
charley654
Not Yet Wild

thank you for the reply.

Yes, I have been greasing the front - primary clutch annually, but did not see the fitting for the secondary until today, so it was not greased until today.

greased it this morning, drove the cart, but did not notice much difference if any.

could it be anything else causing the problem?
Old 07-16-2017, 01:12 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Likely problem is a worn rolller in the primary clutch. Since you are here, I figure you fancy yourself as a "diy fixer" kind of guy.. take the 3x 10mm bolts out of the cover to see what's inside. You will find 3 weights that "fly out" as speed increases. They fly against 3 round rollers. I bet your rollers have spots with major flat spots. If this plays out as I have seen a thousand times before, you need 3 new rollers (forget "I'll just do the one"), and new bushings to keep it tight. New bushings can't be installed without new seals.. there is a point where your clutch can't be rebuilt, but I think you may not be at that point yet. These repairs may require a press, but can be "rigged" if need be (rig-jobs are only as good as the "rigger")
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Do you hear any "growling" from the secondary? Does the sliding sheave "wobble" when the clutchs are engaging? Also, can you stick your finger (NOT WHEN CAR IS RUNNING!!!!) in between the spring seat and the transaxle case?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
charley654
Not Yet Wild

YEs the rollers have flat spots, all flat spots have a straight line go across them almost like this roller was bent form a flat stock to round roller and that is where the end pieces meet up.

I will take pictures of it.
I do have a press.

I will check the spring seat/ spring on the secondary too.

thanks
Old 07-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Well, when you rebuild your clutch/es , might as well do a new belt while you are in there. For stock belts, only use oem Yamaha ones, no cheapo aftermarket.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha