lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
kram214
Not Yet Wild

Default Drive clutch(es) not engaging

Original drive clutch on the '99 RG (Carry All) was turning but not engaging the drive belt. Decided to replace the drive clutch with another OEM clutch. Same problem continues with the new clutch. Checked the battery, it read 9V. Switched out the battery from my second RG , reading 12v+. No change to the operation of the drive clutch. The driven clutch spins freely by hand. Any suggestions on what to pursue at this point???
kram214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Drive clutch(es) not engaging

Welcome to BGW!

My question is... Is the engine starting and reving up? or is it just turning over with the starter?
(The drive clutch doesn't engage until the engine revs to above 900 rpm's or so...)

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:51 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Pull the plug wire, stick a spare spark plug in the wire and lay it on the engine where it's touching metal. Crank the engine and see if you have spark.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
kram214
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the suggestions - yes, the RPMs are only at the startup range, and there is good spark. Following the basics, checked for fuel - pulled the intake hose off and shot in some starting fluid - which did the trick. The problem is somewhere in the fuel system.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:42 AM   #5
kram214
Not Yet Wild

Turns out the issue was some foreign material in the carb. The bowl was full of what looked like yellow fluffy sawdust similar in color to the paper in the fuel filters. A mouse had also chewed into the air filter sometime in the distant past.
Cleaned up the carb and put it back in, put in new air/fuel filters, and to my surprise, though the bowl filled up no gas was getting to the throat of the carb. Pulled the carb again and sprayed it with carb cleaner, pushed a wire through the intake jet. Didn't see anything come out, and the cleaner fluid went through the jet like nothing was obstructing it. Put it back on, yet still no immediate results. It took shooting more starting fluid, and working the choke a few times, before actually getting gas to mix with the intake air. So all is once again well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car