lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
max7321
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Question 100$ G9 project plz help

like title says i bought a golf cart for 100 bones and thought it would be fun to fix it up. after reasearching it a bit i found out it was a yamaha g9. it has compression and turns over when i jump the wires but no spark i have used a light tester to test the ignition and all the switches and they seam to be working one thing i noticed was the motor doest ground when i use the light tester, idk if thats suposed to be or i have a loose wire somwhere. talking to the previous owner he bought it for 1k and it ran perfect till one of his buddies got ahold of it and thrashed it and then rolled it he said that you sometimes had to stomp on floor to get it to start I had almost given up till i saw ur site and all the parts i could get for it plz help me get this thing running then i can start working on replacing body parts thanks guys

Last edited by max7321; 04-20-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: typo
max7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 100$ G9 project plz help

Welcome Max. There 3 circuits to a Yamaha G9. #1-the starting circuit, (ie: battery/fuse or fuses/wire harness/key switch/stop micro switch/solenoid and starter-generator. all must work in a series to get the engine to turn over. #2-ignition/spark. #3-charging circuit. If you'd like I'll try to help on the starting circuit first. You must have a volt meter (recommended) or test lite. A service manual would walk you thru "step by step", but some people don't want to spend 85.00 bones. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Dave will be much more help than me on this but having to stomp on the floor to get it to start sounds like a bad connection at the pedal switch. I would also check the connections at the 10 amp fuse on the driver's side rear fender well. Actually, I would probably start at the pedal switch and work my way to the starter/generator and battery cleaning all connections and making sure I had good contact.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

kokopelli welcome sign.jpg
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

You mention a missing ground cable?
Use one half of a jumper cable and clamp to the motor and the other end to the neg battery post and see what happens just for chits and giggles..
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
max7321
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Cool Re: 100$ G9 project plz help

OK so i replaced a 10 amp fuse that was blown thinking that was the problem but no . so i checked the pedal connections and they are clean, also i checked the food pedal switch and that was working. using my test light because brother borrowed the volt meter... i took the light tester and toutched it to the pedal switch wires coming from the resistor and the red wire lights up bright and the orange or brown wire is not as bright just seamed wierd to me (the light tester was on the positive terminal of battery)
thanks for all the info its really helpfull but im thinking i might just start replacing things ie: ignition, resistor, coil, etc. what ya think?

i live near snohomish washington any locals?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You must have a ground connection to the motor....jus sayin' ....Don't know $hit about Yamahas.... Good Luck.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
max7321
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

replacing that bad fuse restored the ground to motor just checked..

Pic is of my old bmw racecar sidways across finish line at local track
Old 04-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

[QUOTE=max7321;184384]OK so i replaced a 10 amp fuse that was blown thinking that was the problem but no . so i checked the pedal connections and they are clean, also i checked the food pedal switch and that was working. using my test light because brother borrowed the volt meter... i took the light tester and toutched it to the pedal switch wires coming from the resistor and the red wire lights up bright and the orange or brown wire is not as bright just seamed wierd to me (the light tester was on the positive terminal of battery)
thanks for all the info its really helpfull but im thinking i might just start replacing things ie: ignition, resistor, coil, etc. what ya think?

I think without proper troubleshooting, you will be throwing good money, and alot of it, at a problem that could be as simple as a bad or missing ground or bad connection!!!

You also might be money ahead to take it to a shop and let them check it/repair it if you gon't want to take the time to check it and before putting on the parts replacer hat. just my .02
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Do you have any accessories grounded to the frame on this cart? If so, ground any and all of them directly to the neg. terminal on the battery.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no spark
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha