lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2021, 07:08 AM   #1
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

Post 1986 EZ GO 2 stroke lack of power

Hey guys first post here as I am at my wits end! I have read through every post on here about these 2 strokes and i for the life of me cannot solve my problem. First off i had this golf cart given to me because it wouldn't start. Turned out to be a broken wire from the microswitch. This cart does all but dies going up a hill. On flat road i can get it to about 11-12 mph but it takes a while. The cart seems like it has a governor of some sort like its stopping the motor from hitting high rpms. I put a cheap tachometer on it and the best i got going to speed on flat ground was between 3300 and 3600 rpms. It runs ok takes right off as soon as hitting the gas just doesn't have any power. Now here the list of everything i have changed.

new top end which included piston, rings and head (with the piston opening facing intake) Right around 120 PSI after rebuild
new muffler (old one had a hole)
2 new carbs (i have confirmed the butterfly is opening all the way)
new fuel pump
new fuel filter
new spark plug
new crank bearings and crank seals
new drive clutch and new driven clutch
new belt and even a new belt that was an inch shorter for more torque
I did the HEI conversion and new plug wire and coil

I am at a loss. When adjusting the the jet i have tried all different turn positions and honestly i did not notice much of a difference from turned all the way in to all the way out. I unhooked the muffler from the exhaust header pipe (didn't fully remove) and may have notice a bit of a difference so maybe my next step is to pull the new muffler right off and see if maybe ts the muffler being too restrictive. The cart is premixed with the line to the carb plugged and the oiler removed. There is no mechanical governor hooked up as it was removed before I got it. Brakes aren't dragging so I don't know why this doesn't wind out. Ok i think thats everything. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!!
Dstooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2021, 07:50 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986 EZ GO 2 stroke lack of power

You have replaced everything there is to replace.

I was leaning towards brakes dragging.

There is no adjustment on the carburetor, and you are better off with the original.

You did the HEI conversion. Did you try switching the pulsar wires to see which way runs better?

Have you checked the air cleaner for restrictions?
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:00 AM   #3
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

Yes i switched the wires and when i did it wouldn't move at all. I was hoping that was the issue. I've ran the cart with no air cleaner hooked up and with it hooked up no difference. I've never ran a 2 stroke golf cart before this but from everything I've read these things can really rip and this is just a dog. I checked it going up a hill not a very big hill by any means and it drops to about 4 mph. Both clutches are moving like they should its like the motor doesn't have the power.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Hmmm, seems like you've covered all the bases of the obvious solutions. Could you post a couple pics of the engine/clutches compartment, maybe something will pop up...

I've never been a fan of the inch shorter belt thing but that's just me, I am wondering at what rpm that new drive clutch is engaging? Maybe you could use that tach to get an idea, just to make sure it's truly for a 2cycle. A 4cycle clutch would engage too early resulting in no power, just a thought.

Have you lifted the rear end up off the ground and spun the wheels? Make sure it's full of fluid first but it should be very easy by hand, I'd also run it in the air checking wfo rpm and watch the clutches do their thing by hitting the brakes a few times....

My 85 revs to about 5200 at 4500ft elevation, I'm at 6000ft now and only getting about 4700ish. So elevation will make a difference but it should do better than 3300rpm, unless you're on top of Mt. Mckinley
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #5
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

I'm in upstate NY so def shouldn't be an elevation problem lol I will see if i can get some pics and a video tonight. As for jacking it up and running it i did that before i got the tach and i would hear it run higher RPMs after a few seconds of running wide open. The tires spin good and free by hand jacked up so i can rule out hanging brakes. I can swap the belts back and see if that makes a difference. Willing to try just about anything at this point. The only way this thing goes over 4000 rpms was when it was going down hill Almost all my parts came from buggies unlimited so all the parts should be right for this make. One possibility that has crossed my mind (grasping at straws here) is the new drive clutch bolt and the drive clutch puller i bought did not fit. Makes me wonder if this was the other 2 stroke motor and i have the wrong carb on but when i had the motor out the info plate was on it. Robins Engine model EC25-2PG
Motor NO. 86-02087
The first thing i want to check before it gets too hot to handle is to pull that new muffler off and see what it does then. I know 2 strokes need back pressure and i can put the old one that the bottom rotted out on back on but I want to rule out a too restrictive exhaust unless you guys don't think that could be it?
Old 05-19-2021, 05:39 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Did you tighten the governor? Or is the governor bypassed? What gas/oil mix ratio are you running? If I remember that one should be 128:1 (after break in period), usually has a tag under the gas cap.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:12 PM   #7
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

So because of the rebuild I did have the first gallon I ran through mixed richer At 50:1. Every gallon since has been 128:1. Pulled the muffler tonight right off and no power difference so i can rule that out. I took some videos but what is the best way to upload them to this site? I tried to upload them from my phone but the site said invalid files.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:15 PM   #8
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

Also the governor cable is completely unhooked and the arm just sways back and forth freely not touching anything.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:36 AM   #9
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Pictures should post ok, but I think for video you'll have to put it on You-Tube and post us the link.....

I only run NGK-BP5 spark plug, the hotter 4 is ok too. On occasion I've had to use what was available at the time, found out the Champion equivalent sucked. Strange I know but just sayin', Not that 50:1 would have fouled yours or anything but a properly gapped NGK made a difference on mine. I don't know much about the HEI conversion but I've heard you can/should spread the gap a little, hopefully someone who knows about that will chime in.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:00 PM   #10
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

Ok here are the links for the 3 videos I took. First thing no one better comment on my gloves! I had open blisters i didnt want to scrub grease out of from switching the belts and exhaust lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_foMFrFxw4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfvXdVfNqC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0vd7zhtG9Y

Jacked up it was hitting higher rpms but when you are riding it or trying to climb a hill it all but stops.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO