lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2021, 07:28 AM   #1
bgood
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 EZGO One spark problem

Cart cranks but no go. I only get one small spark when I first push the gas pedal. Grounds are good, all wiring has been ohmed out (rung) New CDI, good coil and pulser. So i read that the flywheel needed to be magnetic. Does anyone know if this statement is true, that the flywheel could loose it's magnetism. I'am totally frustrated with this cart and see this problem mentioned often on this forum and bound to find the correct answer. It is so difficult to repair these older carts with all the crap Chinese parts out there. SHAME ON YOU EZGO.

ANYBODY FIND THE ANSWER?
bgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 EZGO One spark problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Cart cranks but no go. I only get one small spark when I first push the gas pedal. Grounds are good, all wiring has been ohmed out (rung) New CDI, good coil and pulser. So i read that the flywheel needed to be magnetic. Does anyone know if this statement is true, that the flywheel could loose it's magnetism. I'am totally frustrated with this cart and see this problem mentioned often on this forum and bound to find the correct answer. It is so difficult to repair these older carts with all the crap Chinese parts out there. SHAME ON YOU EZGO.

ANYBODY FIND THE ANSWER?
And where did you buy the ignitor ? and no the flywheel does not have to be magnetic . The pulser has the magnet on it .
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:15 AM   #3
bgood
Not Yet Wild

Trig: The parts are from China and Tiwan and the CDI from the local ezgo dealer. The coils have been tried on a running cart and check ok. i haven't tried the 3 CDI's yet. I'm afraid to put them on the running cart I use for golf in case they screw it up. Thinking of going the HEI route. Just can't seem to get more than one spark on start up. Currently waiting for new generator brushes as I've pulled that apart because 1 brush was a lot short than the others and past the all used up indicater. Thanks for the flywheel info as all the net seems to have is lawn mowers with magnets inside the flywheel.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:17 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Trig: The parts are from China and Tiwan and the CDI from the local ezgo dealer. The coils have been tried on a running cart and check ok. i haven't tried the 3 CDI's yet. I'm afraid to put them on the running cart I use for golf in case they screw it up. Thinking of going the HEI route. Just can't seem to get more than one spark on start up. Currently waiting for new generator brushes as I've pulled that apart because 1 brush was a lot short than the others and past the all used up indicater. Thanks for the flywheel info as all the net seems to have is lawn mowers with magnets inside the flywheel.
From what I am told some ezgo dealers are now selling the china made ignitors.
I wouldn't go with the HEI.

Find out what the problem is with yours. I have tested a few ignitors for members by installing on one of my carts and see what happens. So far all I have checked have been defective. I got a drawer full of bad ones.

Another thing other than a bad ignitor causing the one spark thing is someone by mistake installs the battery in backward.

If I remember correct if it is in backward it will fire one time just before the engine stops turning over. Because from the factory both cables on many of these carts are both black , its very easy to do this.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:35 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
If I remember correct if it is in backward it will fire one time just before the engine stops turning over. Because from the factory both cables on many of these carts are both black , its very easy to do this.
Definitely check this as i have seen it many times.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:18 AM   #6
bgood
Not Yet Wild

OK --- Battery is defintly Neg to frame Grounded. Why do you not like the HEI method it looks pretty simple. At this point I will do any thing to get my sparks.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:43 AM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
OK --- Battery is defintly Neg to frame Grounded. Why do you not like the HEI method it looks pretty simple. At this point I will do any thing to get my sparks.
It works great on the 2-strokes. There have been people who tried it on these engines but I have not seem them post back a few months later. I am just giving you my opinion plus once you eliminate the ignitor you won't have a rev limiter because its built in stock ignitor.

I just never have the problem with firing most do and I work on these things a lot. I also have several OEM ignitors I keep if I think that is the problem.

Check where the pulser coil plugs in going under the fan cover. More than once I have I found it not making a good connection. I can't stress enough about removing the plate that the ignitor bolts to and see how much rust is on it.

Does the ignitor you got from ezgo have KOKSUN DENKI CO. LTD plus made in Japan written on it ?
Old 07-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #8
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The cheap China ignitors you can buy on eBay and Amazon are ALL junk and money thrown up a cats butt.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:39 PM   #9
bgood
Not Yet Wild

Trig123 The igniter (original) that was on the cart that I think is bad matches your description. The one from China - no markings what so ever. The one from the dealer is only marked Tiwan. The dealer said he would replace it because i checked it and the one from China on my running 92 Marithon and no go. I just replaced the brushes in my
starter/generator thinking this may help because they were past the ware marker, but still only one spark. The built in rev limiter is interesting, I didn't know one existed. Could not find anything in the manuals about rev limiting. I thought it was all mechnical wit the carborater linkage. My next step is to reinstall the original CDI and retry it again. I will also reconnect the next one from the dealer. If no success, i will get the 1977 Nova ignition module. I refuse to give up.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:42 PM   #10
bgood
Not Yet Wild

SHTREATT --- I'm living proof of your statement !
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO