lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2021, 08:40 AM   #1
Gherrmann19
Not Yet Wild

Default Cable length differences between TXT and Marathon

Hello all! I picked up a 1994 Marathon last weekend that is completely stock. It is a slower to go up hills just like many of the stock 36v carts based on the threads I have read. The cart is at my campground so I only get to use it on the weekends.

After reading many threads on here, I have found a list of things that could slightly help improve the performance. Batteries are US and a year old and seem to be in good condition. I was looking at a complete wiring kit for it and was wondering if the TXT kits are different length than the Marathon kits. The reason I ask is I found a TXT kit that I could have delivered to my house by tomorrow so I could replace this weekend. All the Marathon kits I found are at least 3-4 days out meaning I would have to wait another week to work on the cart. (need something to do over the long weekend)

Any idea if a TXT kit will fit a Marathon? (looking at the complete kit) If it doesn't, I will just order the proper kit and wait.

Thanks for your help and look forward to learning more!
Gherrmann19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2021, 10:37 AM   #2
Sideways
Gone Wild

Default Re: Cable length differences between TXT and Marathon

Can't say for sure about the length but would recommend going with a heavier gauge cable than stock (stock is probably 6 gauge) as there is less friction (heat) with a heavier gauge cable.
I would also recommend purchasing a cable kit that includes the cables to the motor as well. (Should be 13 or 14 cables total) if you are not already doing so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2276.jpg (38.0 KB, 0 views)
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherrmann19 View Post
Any idea if a TXT kit will fit a Marathon? (looking at the complete kit) If it doesn't, I will just order the proper kit and wait.
Entirely different battery layout, so most, if not all, the 5 cables connecting the batteries together will be the wrong length and the 2 connecting the battery pack to the rest of the drive system most likely will be wrong also. The controller and F/R switch are located in different places and the position in relation to the motor is different, so they are probably different lengths too.

My guess is that there are only two or three that might be the same length in complete TXT and Marathon cable sets.

Attached at drawing of the respective battery layout showing the connecting cables.

As for the cables: All 13 or 14 cables must be 4ga minimum for stock controller, 2ga for 500A or larger controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Wiring - Marathon - Edited.JPG (32.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Battery Wiring - TXT and Medalist -No Text.JPG (30.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:55 AM   #4
Gherrmann19
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Entirely different battery layout, so most, if not all, the 5 cables connecting the batteries together will be the wrong length and the 2 connecting the battery pack to the rest of the drive system most likely will be wrong also. The controller and F/R switch are located in different places and the position in relation to the motor is different, so they are probably different lengths too.

My guess is that there are only two or three that might be the same length in complete TXT and Marathon cable sets.

Attached at drawing of the respective battery layout showing the connecting cables.

As for the cables: All 13 or 14 cables must be 4ga minimum for stock controller, 2ga for 500A or larger controller.
JohnnniB, Thanks for the reply! I figured after searching for a few hours and not seeing it discussed, that it would not work. My plan is to go with the 2ga set so when I upgrade the controller, I won't have to go back and double down on the work already completed.
Gherrmann19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:06 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherrmann19 View Post
JohnnniB, Thanks for the reply! I figured after searching for a few hours and not seeing it discussed, that it would not work. My plan is to go with the 2ga set so when I upgrade the controller, I won't have to go back and double down on the work already completed.
Something else to keep in mind.

If there is the possibility you may upgrade to 48V in the future, get a cable set for 8V batteries instead of 6V batteries.

8V batteries have both terminals on same side and need longer cables.

I don't have a drawing for a 6x8V battery pack in a Marathon, but you can get a pretty good idea of the difference in the attached TXT drawings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Wiring - TXT and Medalist - B+ B- connections.JPG (35.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Battery Wiring - 48V TXT.jpg (59.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO