lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
CHunley
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Accessory Installation Questions

I am going to upgrade the stereo on my 2002 36V ezgo PDS with an upgraded speed controller.

I have looked through several threads and can't seem to decide exactly which way to go.

Currently, the radios goes quiet, and the lights dim briefly whenever i go full throttle. I am assuming that is because both are wired directly to two of the batteries (the same two).

We just got back from a Week long Vacation at Ocean lakes, and now I got the fever for a upgrade. (those of you who have been there, know what I mean :)

I am in the process of another golf cart build, and want to have this resolved with my current cart, before tackling the new one.

Here is what I am planning on adding:

New stereo with decent sized amp.
Neon Lights (again, an Ocean Lakes thing..lol)
I also want to change the way the head and taillights are wired so they don't dim under full throttle.

Basically, I am curious as to how some of you have powered similar setups.

Would 1 aux. battery be enough to run the accessories for about 3 hours?

I don't object to charging an extra battery, but, obviously would rather stay away from it if it isn't necessary.

Any help is appreciated.
~Chris
CHunley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Accessory Installation Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHunley View Post
New stereo with decent sized amp.
Neon Lights (again, an Ocean Lakes thing..lol)
I also want to change the way the head and taillights are wired so they don't dim under full throttle.
Instead of Neons, use the LED strips, they light just like neons but draw far less power from the batteries.

you can go 1 of 3 ways for power.
1. Install a converter that will pull from the entire pack and reduce the voltage to 12 volts constant. This way the batteries are all being drawn from equally and your lights should dim under full power takeoff.

2. Install 1 12v Golf car Deep Cycle battery under the driver side seat to power all your accessories. Charger it as needed.

3. Install 2 6v Golf car Deep Cyclt batteries in the bagwell of the car to power all your accessories. Again, charge as needed.

If you go option 2 or 3, you can also do a small solar panel on the roof that would reduce the amount of times you need to charger the accessory batteries.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
CHunley
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info rabbitreborn.
I believe the 12v Deep Cycle will be my best route. and definitely led's instead of neon.

Is there a way to set it up so the 12v Battery charges at the same time the rest of the cart batteries do, or am I better off keeping it entirely seperate from the rest of the system and using a separate charger.

Thanks again for any input.
~Chris
Old 07-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In my opinion the simplest solution is the voltage reducer.... buy a good one, install it, and forget about it!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
CHunley
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
In my opinion the simplest solution is the voltage reducer.... buy a good one, install it, and forget about it!
If I go the Voltage reducer route, should I be concerned with the stereo amp drastically reducing the run time? I know it is effected by the power of the amp, and how much it is run, but in general, should I expect a considerable increase in battery drain?

I would like 3 + hours of cruising run time.

Thanks again,
~Chris
Old 07-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm only running lights but I went with a voltage reducer (off of a auction site) and I have just forgotten about it, no need to move the power wires to different batteries and stuff. It has been on the cart for a year and a half with no issues.
hitmanharleyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Chris I can not answer that for you. There are too many un-knows. How long can you cruise for without the amp on? And how much does the amp consume per hour?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Scotty, the fact he asked about running the AMP for up to 3 hours at a time was why I gave 3 possible solutions, otherwise I would agree, running it all through a reducer would be the best bet.

Another thing to consider is the Amp draw of the Amplifier. Most reducers max out at 25 AMPs and I have (unfortunately) seen Amplifiers that draw considerably more power.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
CHunley
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Great replies everyone.
Looks like I need to have a better idea of exactly what I am going to install, before I start planning the electrical requirements.

Obviously the Amp will be the main concern for power.

To some of you who are running stereo amps:
What size amp are you running?
Which method of power did you use?
Any issues or regrets for going the route you did.

Sorry to keep asking so many questions, but I only want to do this once, and do it right.

Thanks,
~Chris
Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
Pimp Daddy
Proud Paw Paw

E-Z-GO

Chris.... The amp would be a waste, if you are planning to run it on Ocean Lakes. A good high powered head unit will supply enough power for a cart system. Don't have an amp on Casper and still the security stops me and requests that I lower the volume....
Pimp Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO