lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Ramchargin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default New ignition switch ran fine now doesnt..

96 CC..

Got a complete switch from TSC and wired it up. Left the white/black and white wires off and it ran just fine for about a mile. Then it started studdering on take off and then wouldnt take off at all. It will idle when the pedal is floored but wont get up enough rpm's to move. From the wiring diagrams it looks like I may have disco'd the voltage reg? *edit* could I have fried the reg?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ramchargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: New ignition switch ran fine now doesnt..

are you sure the cart is running or is it just turning over cause with a good charging system they crank fast enough that a lot of people post the cart will run and idle when in fact the cart is just cranking over so double check that 1st if the cart is nice and strong when its cranking over and your not having to charge your battery i would think your voltage regulator is fine......but i have been wrong before so lets see what others have to say..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Ramchargin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I cant say for sure what its doing now, how would I know if its running or cranking over? I guess I would say cranking over because its not moving?

I reconnected the CC ignition switch and it seems to work although I didnt take it down the road. I just cant understand why the TSC switch would work for a mile or so and then give me all this trouble.

I have poured over the elec diagrams and switch layout and just dont get it.

Anyone every put in an aftermarket switch and it work properly?? I have already cut the dash up for the TSC switch so theres no turning back now unless I get another dash or make one.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-ignition.html

I got my hand slaped one time for saying it, so this time I won't.

Jimmie
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Ramchargin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-ignition.html

I got my hand slaped one time for saying it, so this time I won't.

Jimmie
I had seen that thread already, it helps but not really.

I would like to know why it ran for a mile and then didnt, if I could get to the bottom of that I would be able to figure out how to use an aftermarket switch.

I am not sure why CC would have power running to the switch under acceleration on the white wires and why the stock switch would need a ground lead. I need to figure this all out because eventually Im going to bypass everything to make this cart work more like a go cart. Im going to make it idle instead of cut off during a stop and have a direct accel cable.

Also.. I was told all golf carts have the same key, is this true or are they all the same for brands.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

99% of C.C,s use the same key besides the really old ones that used a key more like an old dodge key..........every brand has a different key that will work on several years and models of their carts...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramchargin View Post
I had seen that thread already, it helps but not really.

I would like to know why it ran for a mile and then didnt, if I could get to the bottom of that I would be able to figure out how to use an aftermarket switch.

I am not sure why CC would have power running to the switch under acceleration on the white wires and why the stock switch would need a ground lead. I need to figure this all out because eventually Im going to bypass everything to make this cart work more like a go cart. Im going to make it idle instead of cut off during a stop and have a direct accel cable.

Also.. I was told all golf carts have the same key, is this true or are they all the same for brands.
Never felt the need to go that route myself but as I understand it you can achieve that result by simply removing a wire from the kill micro switch. Why exactly do you feel the need to replace the CC ignition switch ? CC units are pretty reliable imho. Are you looking for some kind of additional security measures ? If so, a simple Radio Shack toggle switch wired through the afore mentioned kill switch ($1.99) will achieve this. Or simply chain a Rottweiler to the cart in extreme situations.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
Ramchargin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I want to get away from all the cables and elec crap for reliability sake. Too many switches and cables when one direct cable to the throttle can work, IMO. Being the age this cart is complexity can breed instability.

Regarding the key, yes, I want more security. I have heard of teenagers in my neighborhood "borrowing" others carts with their dads golf cart key.

i went ahead and cheesed the ignition.. I tucked the CC switch behind the dash in the on position and only ran the blue wire though my new TSC switch. Im not totally happy with it but it works for now.

The toggle is a good idea but still may not dieter would be borrowers.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Club Car does have a "keyed different" switch... I know, I have one!

The problem you may eventually have is, that the TSC key switch may not be "water resistant",
so you may have problems down the road... so to speak!

my .02
lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
WingSpan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

you could have bypassed the limit switches in the throttle assembly box. as for more security car alarm with a simple starter kill... i do know the white/black and white wire you left "unhooked" is apart of the circuit for the ignition coil. the
WingSpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car