lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
kenbelanger
Not Yet Wild

Default 1985 Motor mount question

My 2 stroke engine vibrates so bad that it keeps breaking bolts and brackets for the muffler and generator.
Will new motor mounts help the vibration?

Thanks
Ken
kenbelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1985 Motor mount question

not really, as the motor mounts actually mount the cradle that the engine and components sit in (depending on the year of your cart, the starter, exhaust, etc aren't isolated from the engine at all, so that's why the vibrations are causing damage).

Speaking of vibration, you need to address that as it sounds (obviously) severe - is there any visible damage to the driven clutch? I ask because if there is, it could be severely out of balance and causing the vibes - the odds of the crank or ? being that out of whack are slim, as that kind of trouble would likely have torn the engine up prior to this ... Another possibility would be the clutch is loose or ? and vibrating on the shaft - matbe someone else can chime in here but personally I'd pull the drive clutch and run the motor, see if that clears up the issue and if it does, replace that clutch.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
kenbelanger
Not Yet Wild

How do I know if the clutch is worn out?
I removed the three bolts and the main center bolt to remove the cover.
I was hoping to find something broken inside but that's not the case.
Everything look fine. The half that sides on the shaft is a bit sloppy, I would say there is about a 1/32" of play.
Would that be enough for major vibrations?
kenbelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

yes it would - the entire assembly should be rock solid with no play in any direction - at 4000-5000 RPM that 1/32" is going to be pretty severe ....

I'd start by making sure the clutch is tightened onto the shaft fully, it could be that the bolt has just backed out a bit - might be more but that's the best place to start
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO