lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
hatchdaddy
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G1 HELP NEEDED

Guys I am new to this forum and to golf carts as well.

SO many questions I really dont know where to begin but let me start with a little background.

My brother gave me an old G1, or at least that is my understanding of what it is, not sure how to tell. That said I got it home and gave it a good cleaning up. I hooked a battery to her and she would turn over. I took the carb off and cleaned it from top to bottom. I put it all back together and she will run when i put a little gas in the intake but i dont think its getting fuel so I think my pump is bad. Its not pumping the gas out of it when it turns over. I had it run so I know its firing. I also read on here about BBQ'ing the exhaust so i plan to do that as well. I cant tell if my oiler is working or not so if you have any suggestions there let me know. Lastly while working on it, it stopped and when i tried pushing the excellerator to start it again and nothing. The starter generator wont even turn over at all and I can take my hand and turn the engine over freely but its like the starter/generator isnt getting any fire to make it work. So now let me ask my questions.

First Questionis is in regards to my fuel pump, is this common or could it be something else? i have checked all the lines except the one that comes out of the motor block. I assume the pump runs on some sort of vacuum or something and I am going to check it today to make sure its not clogged. If this doesn't work where is the cheapest place to buy a pump?

Second question is the rod that hooks the throtle and governor has a bad end and you can tell someone has tried fixing it before and Im not sure where to go to buy golf cart parts. Where can I get that part?

Thirdly, what could be the reason that starter generator doesn't work? What would be the most likely to fail in the electrical system? I dont know where to begin and not even sure what to try. I am now leaning towards it being switch on the gas pedal. How would I check that?

Lastly, if the oiler doesn't work, can i just bypass it and use mixed gas and if so what ratio do you all recommend?

I really want to get this thing going for my son, he is 3 and has been climbing all over it and "helping" dad work on it. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated. I know i have asked already but is there any good sites you all use for parts. Thanks again and I cant wait for your responses.
hatchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
joehinvt
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 HELP NEEDED

first..the fuel pump.. theres a sticky on here on how to clean and rebuild...second... you probably popped a fuse..third...our sponsers can more than likely help and lastly...yes just premix..its safer than wondering when your oiler will fail..hope this helps! imma newbie but im not a dummy!! lol
joehinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
hatchdaddy
Not Yet Wild

Joe I appreciate it, I actually went through the pump today and I think I got it working. Secondy it was a fuse, tracked it down. Thanks for your response. I will check out the sponsors links. Thanks again
hatchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
TSM35
Not Yet Wild

I did the same thing last year. My G1 sat in my barn for 10 years then my 2 year old daughter saw it and went nuts. She has helped me rebuild it from top to bottom. I just painted it last week (with tinted bedliner) and will be putting it back together as soon as I get my clutch removal tool to complete crank seal replacement.

I had many of the same questions and found lots of help here. Let me try to answer your questions and provide some additional ideas.

Fuel system: First thoroughly clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel filter. To prime the fuel pump blow into the fuel tank vent to force fuel to the pump before replacing the pump. Mine just needed priming. Also make sure the throttle shaft isn't loose in the carburetor. If it is replace the brass bushing (there's an easy fix in the forum). I filled the hole with JB Weld and drilled it out to match my throttle shaft perfectly since both my carb housing and shaft were badly worn. Adjust low speed air/fuel mixture by turning the adjuster all the way in and turn out 1 1/2 turns, then tune from there. Make sure the linkages are properly adjusted as well (see forum posts). Google Yamaha G1 throttle linkage to see lots of plastic end sources.

Crank Seals: You'll almost certainly need to replace them. I didn't at first wanting to make sure the cart ran before taking that on but I've given in and am doing it now. They are cheap, fairly easy but time consuming to install and there are step by step instructions on the site. Special tools you'll need are a clutch removal tool, a gear puller and an impact wrench simplifies things. Might want to replace the drive belt and generator belt while it's apart.

Oiling: I'm going to switch to premix while changing the clutch side seal. I plan to remove the oil pump gear while it's apart. I've seen ratios posted here from 50:1 up to 100:1. I plan to start with 80:1 and see how much smoke I get. I'll run as much oil as I can without smoking too bad. I don't wail on the cart so I'm not as concerned about higher oil content as the guys who go nuts.

Fuel and vacuum lines: I had leaks so I just replace all of them. Cheap, easy and really helped.

Engine mounts: Mine were shot and really made the cart run smoother after replacing all of them.

Muffler: I bbq'd my muffler and it helped with smoke but didn't do much for performance. It's much louder now. I posted some pics.

Fuses are common problems. Carry some spares.

Year and model: Look at the frame on the drivers side where the rear bumper bolts to it. You will see a serial number which will help you determine what cart you have. It's important to know since G1 parts changed over the years. http://golfcarhelp.com/serialnumbers/g1.php

Do a compression test to give an idea of crank seal, ring, cylinder and piston condition.

Obviously I lifted mine, installed some bigger tires, stretched the frame 3 inches and installed 3 inch wheel spacers. Next will be seat replacement, tube bumpers and a rear seat or bed. We have 800 acres so it see's lots of dirt roads and light off road use.

There's a ton of info on the internet for the G1 just google and have fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0131.jpg (288.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010074.jpg (302.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010070.jpg (185.2 KB, 0 views)
TSM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha