lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
lakesidewelding
used to be wild....(sigh)

Club Car

Default straight axle and 4 link lift in a Clubcar front end

I was contimplating a design for a lift for my Clubcar Carryall2, and I know you can do the spindle thing, ($lots) or do the drop down brackets using the stock upper control arms and leaf spring, (cheap and effective, but wimpy), and thought of replacing the leaf/control arm set-up with a straight axle and 4 link it. I could use the stock spindle/ wheel assembly, heim joints are cheap, and could go as high as I wanted to..... Thoughts/feelings/input?
lakesidewelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
slim67
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: straight axle and 4 link lift in a Clubcar front end

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesidewelding View Post
I was contimplating a design for a lift for my Clubcar Carryall2, and I know you can do the spindle thing, ($lots) or do the drop down brackets using the stock upper control arms and leaf spring, (cheap and effective, but wimpy), and thought of replacing the leaf/control arm set-up with a straight axle and 4 link it. I could use the stock spindle/ wheel assembly, heim joints are cheap, and could go as high as I wanted to..... Thoughts/feelings/input?
Im thinking of doing the same thing or similar anyways. Ive seen them done on Yamahas and EZ_-GOs but dont recall seeing a Clubcar yet.
slim67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
lakesidewelding

Club Car

I had swapped the back half of a trike in as my drivetrain, so my *** end is at least 10" higher than it used to be. Any store bought lift will run big$$$, which I don't have. If I want the cart and keep wifey happy, I have to do it on the cheap!! Luckily, I have my own shop and am a professional welder, which helps.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
slim67
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I had swapped the back half of a trike in as my drivetrain, so my *** end is at least 10" higher than it used to be. Any store bought lift will run big$$$, which I don't have. If I want the cart and keep wifey happy, I have to do it on the cheap!! Luckily, I have my own shop and am a professional welder, which helps.
It sounds like you have the skills to fab up something that will work. I will be watching when you start.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
lakesidewelding

Club Car

Should be fairly easy and cheap. I have a donor front end from a quad I was going to use, but I think I am going to go in the straight direction... A million Jeeps can't be wrong, right?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
slim67
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Should be fairly easy and cheap. I have a donor front end from a quad I was going to use, but I think I am going to go in the straight direction... A million Jeeps can't be wrong, right?
LOL Thats my thinking! Straight axle and coilovers are still what all the 4x4 rockcrawlers are using and they are gettiing plenty of flex. The ride has got to be better than my Z-lifted front end.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
lakesidewelding

Club Car

I actually thought of Z cutting the frame like the old hot rodders would do to the old Fords, but then you have to change the steering geo. and you really don't get the ground clearance under the wheels, it just sits higher.
I go out with my kids to the pits and let them ride their quads and motorcycles. My ridgid trike was getting a little much on the 'ole kidneys to actually enjoy, so it now lives on in my cart!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
slim67
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I actually thought of Z cutting the frame like the old hot rodders would do to the old Fords, but then you have to change the steering geo. and you really don't get the ground clearance under the wheels, it just sits higher.
I go out with my kids to the pits and let them ride their quads and motorcycles. My ridgid trike was getting a little much on the 'ole kidneys to actually enjoy, so it now lives on in my cart!
At lower speeds the stock front end absorbs bumps Ok but if your trying to keep up with quads and sidexsides it will beat you to death!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
lakesidewelding

Club Car

I just need to keep up with my 7 YR old on his 80cc quad running down the fire trails and hills. I won't be hittin' the whoops hard. It will be more of a recovery vehicle to come find 'em and tow 'em back, if needed. I won't be keeping up with the 11 YR old on his TTR125, that's for sure... he's a madman!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
slim67
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I just need to keep up with my 7 YR old on his 80cc quad running down the fire trails and hills. I won't be hittin' the whoops hard. It will be more of a recovery vehicle to come find 'em and tow 'em back, if needed. I won't be keeping up with the 11 YR old on his TTR125, that's for sure... he's a madman!
I went with a huge group this past weekend and I kept up and impressed a whole lot of people. Needless to say when I am out , my wife and I have gone alone and at our own pace. This time I had to push it a little more and what was acceptable performance and ride wise in the past is out the door. The comparisons bewteen quads/sidexsides and golf carts becomes much more obvious when your on the trails.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO