lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
dodgepa
Not Yet Wild

Default '86 marathon governor

After changing some parts Ive got this cart running pretty good. New driven clutch made a world of difference. question: are there any disadvantages to taking off the governor?
dodgepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '86 marathon governor

Yes there are, if You can't keep a responsible eye on the RPM's (or if your cart is driven by people who may not) ... The 2PG engine was designed for an absolute MAX redline of 5k, the governor ensures this limit is never hit as it's designed to pull back the throttle at around 4k. Pulling it (the governor) will allow You to utilize that 4k-5k range HOWEVER you risk over-revving while going down hills, running wide open on the flats, etc.

One thing I do to my cart(s) *being as I'm one of the types that throws caution to the wind as a rule* is equip them with digital tachometers so I can see where the RPM's are and back off if I start getting close to that 5k - they're under $20 shipped on Ebay, easy to install, and a cheap insurance policy if you absolutely HAVE to pull the governor and get that extra 6-7mph out of a stock Marathon
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
amesmotorsports
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

But does anyone make a tach that is analog?
amesmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

That's a good question - I have *seen* them on carts, but always assumed they were from a racing go-kart or the like - I don't see why you couldn't manage to work out something with either a cart tach or even a 2-stroke bike tach, provided they were the style that picked up the signal off the spark plug wire ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
dodgepa
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. I think ill leave it on and not take a chance.
dodgepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO