lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
Buick6472
Not Yet Wild

Default Voltage when charging?

I have scottyb volt meter installed now on my 2000 ds 48 volt and when put on charge about 9-10 hours ago it read in the low 50's a couple minutes after charging. (first charge since meter intstall) Now 9 or so hours later it's reading 63.4! Is this normal? The charger was around 14 amps when started charging. It is lower now, around 3-4 amps. But didn't think It would show this high of a voltage reading. Should I let it run the charging cycle and shut off on its own? Thanks for any replies..
Buick6472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage when charging?

YES that is normal. It will stay at 3-4 amps for a long time as it equalizes the battery charge.

We learn more with these meters installed than anything else
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Buick6472
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for fast reply Scotty. One question still remains in my noggin.. Why does it read such a high voltage near end of charge cycle? It's at 63.6 volts now. I know the amps drop off and linger at a low rate to finish the charge cycle. But why a low 60's volt reading when it's only a 48 volt car? I understand the meter is reading the output of charger also, but didn't think it would be at that high of a voltage reading. You say it's normal. I accept that. And appreciate all the help ive received on this site. Just wondering why it is.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
cmar143
Gone Wild

63V is pretty high to me. Most chargers that Ive used and checked with a multi meter during charging were anywhere from 52-57V. Above 60V seems rather high to me. How long has the charger been running?
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Buick6472
Not Yet Wild

It went about 11-12 hours and shut off. I had taken the batteries (new pack a month ago) down to about 48.8 (read after resting for 10 mins). In was the 8th cycle charging. So still breaking in I think.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . all CC chargers are rated 48v @17 amps (or 15 amps, depending on model) at start of charge cycle and 60v @3.5 amps at end of charge cycle . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

I read mine near the end of charging and it read 64 volts, my bats are only a couple months old though.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedchaser View Post
I read mine near the end of charging and it read 64 volts, my bats are only a couple months old though.
. . . 64v is fine during final phase of charge cycle . . . I think the CC manual statement of 60v is probably approximated . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

64v = 3.55 v per cell = 10.66 v per 6/8v battery
This is the final equalization phase of the charging algorithm (pattern)
Equalization is essentially a controlled over charge.
Higher capacity wet (flooded) batteries benefit from this procedure, particularly the physically tall golf cart batteries. The electrolyte in a wet battery can stratify over time, if not cycled occasionally.
In equalization, the voltage is brought up above typical peak charging voltage (to 11 to 12 volts in a 8 volt system) well into the gassing stage, and held for a fixed (but limited) period.
This stirs up the chemistry in the entire battery, "equalizing" the strength of the electrolyte, and knocking off any loose sulphation that may be on the battery plates.

For more information go to Scottyb's Carts Unlimited
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
Courtlandjs
Gone Wild
Club Car

My carts reads around 67v at end of charge?????club car 48v with 4 12v Trojans ....is this normal?
Courtlandjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car