lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
GatorsUF
Not Yet Wild

Default Old club car - Charging voltage help

I just got a new charger, stanley 6-48v charger from sams club, I know there are mixed reviews but for the most part it seemed positive. Either way I spliced my cable from my old charger onto the Stanley and when I plug it in it registers as 31v or so. I have 4 new batteries and about to replace the other two.

I think the issue is, when I look under the seat it appears that the charger from the OEM, the positive cable goes to battery 3 and the negative is on battery 6. So the first two batteries aren't really registering. I assume...

GatorsUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Old club car - Charging voltage help

. . . I am assuming you have a 48v cart . . .

. . . did you look over the battery pack to see if all are connected to each other properly and that you read full 48v+ between #1 Positive terminal and #6 Negative terminal?

. . . your theory would be right . . . your positive lead from charger port should be going to the main positive terminal of the pack, and not in the "middle" of the pack, assuming it is wired properly between the 6 batteries in pack to produce 48v+ pack voltage . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Don't pay any attention to the physical location of the batteries, look at how they're connected:

One of the batteries should have a heavy cable attached to the Negative (-) post and going off to the motor or someplace other than another battery. On that battery's Positive (+) post, there should be a short, heavy cable going to another battery's Negative (-) post. This should repeat, until all 6 batteries are connected in Series, and the last battery should have a heavy cable connected to the Positive (+) post that goes to the solenoid or someplace other than another battery. If you read voltage from the first battery's Negative, to the last battery's Positive, you should see "pack voltage", which will be either 36 or 48 volts. If your 6 batteries have 3 cells/each, you have a 36 volt pack, if they have 4, your pack is 48 volts.

You said, "Old Club Car", but that really doesn't tell us if you have a 36- or 48-volt cart.

Your charge connector leads should be connected to the ends of the series string, the first battery's Negative and to the last battery's Positive. Depending on State of Charge, your voltage reading could be substantially less than it might otherwise be.

DO NOT DISCONNECT ANYTHING in an attempt to "make it right". You must understand how it's presently connected before changing anything!
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
GatorsUF
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post
Don't pay any attention to the physical location of the batteries, look at how they're connected:

One of the batteries should have a heavy cable attached to the Negative (-) post and going off to the motor or someplace other than another battery. On that battery's Positive (+) post, there should be a short, heavy cable going to another battery's Negative (-) post. This should repeat, until all 6 batteries are connected in Series, and the last battery should have a heavy cable connected to the Positive (+) post that goes to the solenoid or someplace other than another battery. If you read voltage from the first battery's Negative, to the last battery's Positive, you should see "pack voltage", which will be either 36 or 48 volts. If your 6 batteries have 3 cells/each, you have a 36 volt pack, if they have 4, your pack is 48 volts.

You said, "Old Club Car", but that really doesn't tell us if you have a 36- or 48-volt cart.

Your charge connector leads should be connected to the ends of the series string, the first battery's Negative and to the last battery's Positive. Depending on State of Charge, your voltage reading could be substantially less than it might otherwise be.

DO NOT DISCONNECT ANYTHING in an attempt to "make it right". You must understand how it's presently connected before changing anything!
Ok I found a picture of my setup (this was taken when I was swapping batteries, so I could hook them back up correctly). I guess I have to cable on either end, one going to negative on first battery and one going to positive (pictured "A") on last battery. My question is what is the cable labeled "B"? If I hook my new charger up to the terminals at either end it reads between 38 and 40v when charging, but if I plug in thru the OEM adapter it reads 31v or so.

BTW it is a 36v Club Car. Serial No. A850167950

Old 03-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

That red cable labeled 'B' is connected to the wrong place. Although I can't see the entire pack, it seems to me that that cable should be moved to the 'last' battery's Negative post.

Do some tracing of wires and you'll find that the charge connector is hooked up to only 5 of the batteries, but that all 6 are connected in series, that's why you are measuring the 38 volts with your meter and only 31 at the charging connector.

Once again, don't go willy-nilly reconnecting things until you've studied it out. Always take pictures and/or draw diagrams before disconnecting cables. You think you'll remember, but trust me: you won't. Don't ask me how I know this. :-(

One thing you could do is to install a fuse somewhere in the battery string, probably in place of one of the battery-to-battery jumper cables. I'd think that if you put a 50 or 60 amp fuse in the circuit, you could connect things without much danger of frying something from a wrong hookup. If the fuse didn't blow out, then jack up one wheel, turn on the key, and gently press the accelerator pedal. Don't over-rev the motor, and don't mash the pedal. I'm not sure, but I think the fuse will probably not blow during that test.

If it passes, then reconnect the regular jumper cable and go for a ride.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

This may help you

From the name you chose you may live close to me
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

FYI the B wire is correct, that is for reverse since you dont get full 36 v for reverse
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . start looking at page 5-2 in below link and dl a copy to your computer . . .

84-85 CC DS IPL
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

86Gator,
Thanks for the clarification! Although I'm pretty good with electricity, with an Associates Degree in electronics, I don't really have a lot of experience with golf carts per se. If I could see the problem cart first-hand, I'd probably have it figured out in a couple of minutes, but it's kind of a bugger trying to troubleshoot from 1200 miles away.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
GatorsUF
Not Yet Wild

I looked a little closer today and I believe everything is hooked up correctly. I will give it a full charge and test the readings again. Thanks for the help guys.

Gatorclub I live in Sarasota
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car