lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
RR24
Not Yet Wild

Default Question's about a 80 or 82 Gas Cart

I was told it was a 82 but I think by this number 80J6 its an 80?
Let me start by saying I bought this cart for $300.00 and was told it does not run, has a new carb. on it. I can make it fire and run a little by sqirting gas in the carbs so I think the fuel pump is bad it will hardly push fuel up the hose and puts out no pressure if i hold my finger over it (how much pressure should it put out). But here is my real question I have read on here about the HEI conversion, so after a little investigation I can not find the ignitor or the pulsar. I have a single wire coming from the engine behind the flywheel and it goes straight to the coil, is this right or has someone modified this?

Thanks Wes
RR24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Ron Benedict
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Question's about a 80 or 82 Gas Cart HELP

If you only have one wire coming out, I would think you have points ignition instead of the pulsar.
Ron Benedict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The pre 1980 model was driven with points so that might be why you only have one wire. Perhaps it is a very early 80 cart with a 79 engine or less likely someone has replaced the engine. In either case you should be aware that pre 1980 engine parts are difficult to come by and in some cases not longer available.

Your fuel delivery problem is probably one of two issues. It is possible that your fuel pump is defective. You can test this by removing the line from the fuel pump and capping it. Then using a small funnel and a length of new line simply gravity feed the carburetor. If the engine runs then it is the fuel pump. However it is more probable that the crankshaft seals are shot. This prevents the crankcase from generating the necessary pressure to a) drive the pump and b) move fuel from the crankcase to the cylinder. To test this jack up the rear end (or remove the drive belt) and with someone cranking the engine spray some WD40 right onto the crankshaft where it emerges from the rear of the engine. If it starts or merely changes note then it is time for two new seals. Again you should be aware that only one of these seals is the same as the 1980 + engine.

Good luck

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
RR24
Not Yet Wild

So going by these number 80J6 you think its an 80 model? does the J stand for January and the 6 for the 6th of the month. This is a 244cc engine if that might tell anything? Any idea if a preson could put a pressure gage on the outlet of the fuel pump if so how much pist should it read? Also since you say points, am I to assume that will be points behide the flywheel and if so can it be changed to the pulsar?

Thanks for all your help folks
P.S. Would i be better to get rid of this and find a different cart?
Thanks
Wes
Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Wes,
My guess would be that it is a 80 cart with a 79 engine. My cart is 86 but the engine plate shows 85. There is little point in using a pressure gauge to measure the fuel output as it should be a big pulsating jet not a trickle or a dribble. The bottom line is that you have an issue and fitting an electric pump (which people have done) will not resolve the issue if you have worn seals. The cart cannot be converted to a pulsar as that would require a new flywheel and it their wisdom Robins changed the size of the crankshaft for the electronic version. That said there are many points based carts still running and you can still get points (and yes they are behind the flywheel) for the cart. That said I would do what I suggested in my previous to determine if the seals are bad. If they are then you can still get the seals. Before I replaced the seals however I would run a compression test on the engine. If the compression is much less than 100 psi I would have some serious thoughts about the viability of repairing the engine. That said if the compression is reasonable I would be tempted to get it running and flip it. A running Marathon is worth much more than $300.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
RR24
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
Wes,
My guess would be that it is a 80 cart with a 79 engine. My cart is 86 but the engine plate shows 85. There is little point in using a pressure gauge to measure the fuel output as it should be a big pulsating jet not a trickle or a dribble. The bottom line is that you have an issue and fitting an electric pump (which people have done) will not resolve the issue if you have worn seals. The cart cannot be converted to a pulsar as that would require a new flywheel and it their wisdom Robins changed the size of the crankshaft for the electronic version. That said there are many points based carts still running and you can still get points (and yes they are behind the flywheel) for the cart. That said I would do what I suggested in my previous to determine if the seals are bad. If they are then you can still get the seals. Before I replaced the seals however I would run a compression test on the engine. If the compression is much less than 100 psi I would have some serious thoughts about the viability of repairing the engine. That said if the compression is reasonable I would be tempted to get it running and flip it. A running Marathon is worth much more than $300.

Dave
Dave,
I did the wd40 thing and could tell no difference. and yes it is just a dribble out of the fuel pump, I took it apart and it looks ok to me, but who knows, also while off I ran the starter and i could fill a pulse from the pulse hole on the engine. But as you said I need to run a compression test, and if test low I think I am done. It does have the external starter/gen, so I guess thats a plus over the internal.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
RR24
Not Yet Wild

Dave,
The compression is 90#, not worth fixing i guess? Would this most likely be the pulse problem on the fuel pump? You said a running Marathon is worth more than 300, are all 80 model cart a Marathon? I am think about unhooking the exhaust to make sure it is not plugged and then see how the fuel pump works, not much air coimg out of the exhaust. Here is a kit off ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/gas-engine-r...item51ac5ad18d just dont know if its worth spending that much?

Thanks Wes
Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
RR24
Not Yet Wild

Got it running, put new fuel line and removed muffler and got it to go. It will only run from half throttle on up, will not run at low throttle, I am guess that has to do with a low pulse for the fuel pump at low throttle. Also could you tell me how the needle screw on the side of the carb needs to be set?

Thanks Wes
Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
RR24
Not Yet Wild

Pulled the motor out of the cart, then pulled the head and jug off, and found one whole side of the jug broke off @ the bolt holes, no wonder it was low on compression, no seal at the head gasket
Old 05-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
racin161
Gone Wild

Now that could be the problem. Post pic of your repairs as you go along.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO