lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Snyde
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G19 Steering Box Rebuild

Rebuild went well, not ideal conditions, but what you gonna do? Most tedious part was cowl removal. And a little convincing of the idler arm / pitman arm tapered spline separation.

Have been thinking about picking up the grease ever since I ordered the parts 3 weeks ago, but forgot. Wife went out to buy flowers for the campsite while I was working on the cart, so sent her a text to stop and pick up a good quality grease, NOT gear lube. So, I wound up with a good quality gear lube. Too late to run back to town for grease and finish the project, so 90w gear lube will have to do for the rest of the season. My guess is we’ll put way less than 50 miles on it before the end of the season, so hoping that will do for now. Going to strip it down this off season so pulling the steering box again will be no problem.
Parts worn but expected worse conditions based on how it felt turning the wheel.

Bottom line, steers like a Ferrari. Well, maybe not quite, but a ton of improvement. Lock to lock with no binding or grinding, just a little free play in the wheel, time and money well spent.
Thanks a ton smallblock450sl!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering-3A.jpg (300.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pinion-A.jpg (151.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Steering Shaft-A.jpg (194.9 KB, 0 views)
Snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Wholly smokes! Must have been in water at some point. I can say I've never seen one that bad. Glad my post helped alittle. You can pack the box with grease without taking the front cowel off.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

between what you already figured out, and smallblock450s posts, you should have this licked. i have been having problems with the NEW yamaha replacement parts not being made to proper tolerances, and unable to adjust to factory specs with all new parts, steering box/column included. wish you best of luck. getting the adjustment just right is a tricky balance between "too loose" and "binding".

PS G-1s used gearlube in the steering boxes, not grease, it will be just fine.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
Snyde
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thumbs up Re: G19 Steering Box Rebuild

Thanks cgtech. Project went well, smallblock's detailed post helped immensely, along with 3 fingers of rum .
All parts fit well, they were Yamaha OEM replacements. This is a pretty crude steering system but gets the job done. Adjustment was OK, I know what you mean about finding the sweet spot though. I had it at a point that felt good while off the ground, but then felt a little tight once loaded up. So I backed the adjusting screw about 1/8 turn out, feels good when rolling now. I had 90°+ of steering wheel movement before anything would happen at the wheel, now it's probably 10° to 15° free, so much better. And it is much easier to turn.
As for being underwater, I wonder if this is the cart by buddy drove into a water hazard some years back ...
This is a great forum, lots of helpful people, thanks all.
jb
Snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:31 AM   #15
KillerCC
Call me Rich

Club Car

Im very interested in performing a steering rebuild on my G16. I dont plan in removing the body for a while, bu twould like to to pack it with grease in the mean time. Does anyone have directions for doing this and any pics of this "adjusting screw"?
KillerCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #16
Slayr1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
between what you already figured out, and smallblock450s posts, you should have this licked. i have been having problems with the NEW yamaha replacement parts not being made to proper tolerances, and unable to adjust to factory specs with all new parts, steering box/column included. wish you best of luck. getting the adjustment just right is a tricky balance between "too loose" and "binding".

PS G-1s used gearlube in the steering boxes, not grease, it will be just fine.
I just saw a reply you made on a g19 steering box rebuild post a few years back, would you know a place I can by the parts to do this rebuild I am having trouble finding them online, since you are the only person online currently I figured I would ask. any help appreciated. Thanks
Slayr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pinion, steering box, steering shaft
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha