lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
abaguy
Not Yet Wild

Default Difficult starting

I've been reading but I've found it difficult to do a search for my particular problem.

I have a 1997 Club Car that has been difficult to start since I've had it. The issue as best as I can describe it is as follows:

When I push the gas pedal, the starter kicks in and turns the engine over fast. I've been in lots of Club Car gas carts and it's like the others.
I've checked the compression a while ago, believe it was about 140-150
I start of pushing the pedal slowly, it will get to a point, a very small point where the engine will fire, and most likely start up. If I go past that point, it won't fire, if I come back too far, it won't fire. It has a sweet spot to get it to start. Sometimes I find myself slowly pumping it back and forth to get it to "catch".
Since I've had it, I replaced the ignition coil and cleaned the carburetor a couple times. I've rebuilt the fuel pump, and it pumps fuel just fine.
The airbox and hose are all airtight with a clean filter.
I've checked the spark with a spark tester and it looks good throughout the throttle range, which leads me to believe it's an air/fuel problem.
I'm about to order a new carburetor to try because I'm running out of ideas and need to get this thing running better.

Can anyone recommend anything?
abaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Difficult starting

One of the simplest and economical "fixes" you can try is to replace the Microswitches. They're cheap, readily accessible and may be the cause of your "sweet spot" starting issues.

Whether a ground-fault or loose wire, even through the generator, checking connections and grounds remains a time tested starting point.

Brushes in the generator need to be replaced every 100-thousand miles (or less). Your mileage may vary.

Are you sure the spring that closes the carburetor butterfly valve is attached?
Land Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
abaguy
Not Yet Wild

I've noticed a few issues while working around it this morning.

The throttle shaft is very loose in the carb, resulting in what looks to me like the butterfly isn't completely closing. Which would explain why I'm getting an occasional backfire through the carb when starting. Going to order a new one.

The plastic pin connecting the throttle cable to the shaft of the carb looks worn. Should it be the same diameter from top to bottom, minus the lip on the top to hold it in place? Does this pin come with a new carb?

The drive belt looks like it should have been changed a while ago.

The carb wasn't opening for a while after the microswitches activated to start cranking. I've adjusted the cable to get it to start right away but now I'm hitting the rev limiter early and can't get a happy medium.

Going out to do some more testing
abaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
aintgotthis
Not Yet Wild

You will have to re set your governor. The process is in another recent post.
aintgotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car