lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
64nova
Not Yet Wild

Default driven clutch 86 ezgo

can some one explain how the driven works .it feels like it shifts to a higher gear sometimes my cart runs faster sometimes as if it starts to drag the brakes. thanks in advance Brad
64nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
redcloud
Gone Wild

Default Re: driven clutch 86 ezgo

There is a spring inside the unit that wants to close up the sheaves making the belt ride to the top giving low gear from stop or slow speeds. As you gas up the speed there is a ramp and buttons inside. The ramp rides up the buttons and over powers the spring and lets the sheave open allowing the belt to drop down making the gearing go faster. If you have bad buttons, bad ramp or weak spring you will have strange speeds. Also if the inside of these parts is dirty it will slow down or hinder the free play and not give good results in movement. Also check that the sheaves themselves are not warn or grooved giving uneven travel of the belt as it rides up and down. You can purchase all the parts, buttons, ramps and spring but if your sheaves are gone it’s a new driven clutch. You may want to take off the unit, break down to clean and inspect all the parts for wear. Consider also adding a new high torque spring for solid low gear and steady increases.
Hope this helps.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
64nova
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the info where can I buy these parts . i have been buying from bakers cart supply but they are hard to get ahold of and tired of dealing with it
Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
redcloud
Gone Wild

Here are a few, just look through them.

http://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com/
http://www.franklingolfcar.com/
www.everythingcarts.com
Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Clayrice
Not Yet Wild

Go question, I have the same problem, only when I took the spring off the splines are worn very bad, is this part of the clutch or the rearend?
Clayrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
redcloud
Gone Wild

When the clutch is removed you will have the clutch in your hand. What is left is a spline'd shaft sticking out the rear end. Splines are also inside the clutch that holds the moving inside sheave. What splines are bad?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
Clayrice
Not Yet Wild

I have the spring, the front part of the clutch, the pully is still on the rearend, attached to the pull in the rest of the clutch, will I have to pull the rearend to get it off? Thanks
Clayrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
redcloud
Gone Wild

So the stationary sheave is still on the rear end shaft? What splines are warn? On the shaft out of the rear end or the splines for the movable sheave?
Don't know how the splines could get very bad as most wear is on the ramp and the buttons/slides with the spring also getting old and loosing its umph.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
64nova
Not Yet Wild

can I take the cheaper 89 up ramp buttons drill and tap my clutch to bolt them on because they are proud of the stock buttons for my 86. and i cant find the spring for it on any of those sites but would this one work
Amazon.com: EZGO Golf Cart High Torque Power Clutch Spring Kit: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: EZGO Golf Cart High Torque Power Clutch Spring Kit: Sports & Outdoors
Old 09-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
redcloud
Gone Wild

The ramp button is available at http://www.franklingolfcar.com/
For around $9 each from what I see. Sorry, price we pay for older cart parts.
May be another ramp button part I see also on that site and I think you have a button of some sort on the ramp itself?
A high torque spring is also on ebay ( I got that one myself) that fits 86 up and is $43 free shipping with a cap for installing. That brings me to another thought for you.
The current spring you have can be easily pushed on and ring installed but a high torque spring will require some very hard pressing to get it on past the point to install the ring retainer. You will have trouble with this as you say the other half of the clutch is still on the rear end shaft. After buying all the parts and having to install this way, I would think a new clutch would be better for you in the long run. If your clutch has separated you are probably having a unit that could just be ready for change. price as i have found running from $194 up.
Remove old half on shaft with heat and hammer off.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO