lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
hijacker
Not Yet Wild

Default Differential Lube (again)

Most posts I've read, and the owner's manual for my 2007 EZGO gas cart, claim what is supposed to be used in the differential is SAE30 weight oil. In preparation for changing the differential lube, I bought Royal Purple synthetic SAE30 weight oil.

When I drained the differential, it was obvious that what came out was gear lube and not oil. The golf cart was used when I bought it three years ago from an EZGO dealer so I called that dealer and talked to one of the mechanics. I told the mechanic the manual calls for SAE30 weight oil, but the differential had gear lube in it and he said SAE30 weight oil is the correct lube. To be certain, I asked, "Without a doubt?" and he replied emphatically, "Without a doubt!"

Sorry for this long post, but I'm hoping it helps others who are seeing conflicting statements about the correct differential lube to use.
hijacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Differential Lube (again)

sae30 is the correct oil for the trans. The PO put the gear lube in there. Royal Purple is really good oil, it sticks to every part.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would put gear oil back in. Jmo.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Didn't someone mention that that it's supposed to be 30 weight but some places will go to gear oil to try and lessen gear noise? If quiet with 30wt, keep it in there.
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
apaladin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Since I was not able to figure out how to put the link here: this is a copy of the definitive discussion of the subject by Dave Box:

You should use a 75 - 90 weight gear oil. Confusion arises as the Society of Automotive Engineer (SAE) have two different standards for engine oil and gear oil. Straight 30 weight engine oil has the same viscosity as 80 weight gear oil. You might then ask why certain manufacturers recommend straight 30 weight engine oil in both the engine and the differential. This is an economy measure (read cheap here) as it simplifies their stock inventory. In addition, it isn't going to hurt your wallet to buy the best synthetic gearbox oil for your cart but it will affect the cart manufacturers bottom line if they use anything other than the most cost effective lubricant. It should be noted that engine oil and gearbox oil have different properties suited the the tasks they have to perform. Engine oil is loaded with cleaners and dispersants whilst gearbox oil is designed to have greater resistance to shear forces. As I said it really isn't going to make that much difference if you run your back axle on something else but if you are going to do the job right then...... well you get the idea. One final point. No one will recommend a 10w 30 oil, this is because the oil is designed to start at 10 weight when cold and then act as a 30 weight as the engine heat increase the molecular polymer length. Without the heat from the engine you will be running your back axle with a 10 weight lubricant.
apaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Beaner913
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I run only gear oil in all of my carts.
Beaner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I used 75W gear oil when I did my a few months back
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #8
salinasgoodoleboy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

LOL I use the hydraulic oil we have sitting around for the tractors in all our utv's and carts. They hold up just fine.
salinasgoodoleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO