lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Skattracker2
Not Yet Wild

Default How loud is a 2pg vs a 3 pg?

I bought a 88 EZGO lifted with a 2 pg engine. I just rebuilt the engine and put it all back together and it is loud, but everyone says a 2 stroke is loud.
I was at my brother in laws and he has a 91 EZGO stock 3 pg and his is very quiet compared to mine.

Is it the difference between a 2pg and a 3pg or do I need a new muffler or can I repack mine?
Thanks
Skattracker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: How loud is a 2pg vs a 3 pg?

1988 mufflers can be cut open and repacked with 2 stroke muffler packing. (get it at a race bike shop, I used FMF packing) Be warned, you have to cut the muffler around its circumference about a quarter to half inch down from the TOP and pull it apart, it will come apart hard. It has to be welded up when youre done, have a good welder do it cause it's thin and burns through easily.

A side note: 88 is a "HIPO" last year of production 2pg, they had a larger (24mm vs. 18mm) carburetor and high flow one year only mufflers. The performance is very noticeably greater.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Any 2 stroke is very hard on the exhaust port gasket. Did you replace it or just reuse the old one. Your problem maybe as simple as a new gasket.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

^Check what Dave said first^ ... I've had both 2 and 3PG's, and there really is no difference in noise if the mufflers are good - if the gasket, etc is good (check the bottom of the exhaust pipe too, they like to take hits offroad and end up with splits or holes) then a repack could possibly be the ticket ....
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Skattracker2
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. I did replace the gasket on the exhaust when I rebuilt it, and it did loosen up, but the muffler is bad. I just ordered a new one as the old one had been cut apart and repacked once already and they hacked it.
We will see how a new muffler makes it sound and a new jug and piston. (I wrecked my old one after the rebuild).
Skattracker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO