lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #11
Slickfish
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1999 g16 drive clutch squeaks

This is a brand new belt from plow mans. I installed it after cleaning the clutch faces with brake cleaner. I guess I'll remove it and clean again. Thanks.
Slickfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #12
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

db,, did you check with the owner of the laundry mat first? that's a good idea,, I don't think my wife would be happy about that,,,, anyway,, if you rub the belt with your fingers,, if it is clean, and still making noise, it could be either humidly,, or a week rear spring,, belt noise is always a prob on carts,, I know on a real humid day mine will squeak till it burns off the moisture,,, rub your hand and see;;;; the other thing is,, could it be the break cleaner??? squirt a little on your fingers an see if its oily,, I use ,either starting fluid,, or electronic contact cleaner,, they are very clean.......... and put nothing on the belt. good luck
sjfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #13
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickfish View Post
Took belt off and no squeak. Now what. I have not greased the driven clutch. Should I try that ..I have read that only one pump is appropriate .
Absolutly! An ungreased secondary can cause squeeking/growling noises. Plus if the secondary can't work well (opening and closing) if not greased at some point. 1 or 2 shots in the secondary, just take note, the ecsess rease will be thron around in the engine compartment.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
Go to your local laundry mat and fill it up with your favorite cleaner like mean green or la awesome and toss in the belt. Let it air dry.Did this to a belt from my polaris ranger after seeing a tip on the ranger forums.
I guess it would be better to have to deal with the laundry mat owner than a ticked off wife.
tjequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #15
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

don't really make much dif. in my house, she's ticked off most of the time anyway;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Old 08-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #16
dbmachine
Gone Wild

The belt has alot less oil than my mechanic outfits after a week at the job. Ive got the plowmans belt as well. On a morning of high humidity the clutches get moist so does the belt on the initial startup. After a few minutes the slight squeek goes away. My oem belt did the same. Checking the dipstick and a drop of oil or two can get down on the clutches and belt too. I make a habit of laying a shop rag on the clutches to prevent oil drip when i check my oil every week.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #17
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

yep.,, the belt noise is an inherent problem on carts, ive just learned to live with a little,,,but if its excessive then I try to fix it. ive always saw, when you see a problem and find a cure you can make a lot of money,, make a belt that wont make any noise, and you can name your own price;;;;;;;
Old 08-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #18
Slickfish
Not Yet Wild

I also forgot to mention that the squeak does not start right away upon driving it cold. It only starts after a couple minutes of driving.
Slickfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #19
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickfish View Post
I also forgot to mention that the squeak does not start right away upon driving it cold. It only starts after a couple minutes of driving.

You might need to feed the hamsters a little more so they quit complaining. LOL
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #20
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

here in il. its 95deg, and real humid. yesterday my wife took the cart for a ride, the belt made a lot of noise for a while then as it burns off the moisture is ok.. as I said they all do it when its humid;;;; I can rub the pulleys and the belt and they are clean. and I have tried the belt sprays in the past,, with these slip type drive systems , I think its better not to use them. they make the belt grab to much' I have also taken the belt off and used real heavy sand paper, or a wire wheel on a drill, after sanding both sides, it will be perfect for a few rides, then it glasses again,, I just go slow for a while.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha