lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2021, 08:55 AM   #1
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Default 2004 club car axle swap to a 1990 axle

So I just acquired an axle and a cradle out of a 1990 club car ds,
I have yet to make up mind,on what to do with it.
So I do have a couple of questions to ask, running this setup that will actually put the engine the way it needs to be? Such as forward gear would remain forward gear? the belt and clutch would now be on the driver side?
Could i use the lift blocks i have on the 2004, to make the lift work?
I do know this the rear brakes are not interchangeable with the 2004, so complete rear break setup would have to happen. as far as the Cradle goes, I think I might be missing a couple of parts, do those things come with an aluminum skid plate? Is there some kind of plate it goes in the middle of the cradle? Maybe fabricate something to put a cross the empty space for the motor needs to sit?
I know the rear driven clutch can still be used, but I'm not so sure about the Comet 780 on the front are those clutches directional?
do they make 6:1 gears for the older axle?
if I take the time to complete all the things necessary to make the swap work,
How much of a speed gain could i see in the new setup? how much bottom end torque would I lose?
the setup I have, is the Vanguard 23 with the 6:1 gears on the 2004.
is this even worth the effort trying to make everything work, is there that much of a difference between the two? That's the real question I want to know? I don't want to drop money into doing the swap, if there would not be noticeable gains in the top speed.
right now my cart does just a little over 40 mph at 4000 rpms...
Hoping to gain 10 mph by doing this swap.
I am just afraid that I spend all this money to make everything work, and it stays pretty much the same it will be all for nothing, and I really don't want to go down that road......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210108_164649.jpg (294.4 KB, 0 views)
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
JimmyBoriack
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2004 club car axle swap to a 1990 axle

I have a 2005 club car , I just swapped the rear axle left to right to keep forward and revers working in the correct direction.
Installed the motor with pto on the left side.
Worked out very well. I did install 8:1 gears on 22” tires.
4000 rpm will run 43 I have run in the high 40s.
Engine is a Honda GX690 with no performance parts the governor and built in coil rev limiter removed.
JimmyBoriack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

thanks for the reply, I am hoping that all I need to make the swap happen, is a new muffler. I know the rear driven clutch will work, but I'm not so sure about the drive clutch on the front, it is a comet 780?
Fingers crossed......

SIDE NOTE:

I was at a yard sale yesterday, little old lady doing an estate sale really.
In the garage there was a welder with a paper plate taped to it, the price on the plate was $200. After i beat the old lady up, i left with the welder for $160......(i didn't really beat her up, call it southern negotiation)

The welder i picked up,
Lincon Electric AC 225 Arc Welder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210109_154114.jpg (224.8 KB, 0 views)
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectClubCar View Post
I was at a yard sale yesterday, little old lady doing an estate sale really.
In the garage there was a welder with a paper plate taped to it, the price on the plate was $200. After i beat the old lady up, i left with the welder for $160......(i didn't really beat her up, call it southern negotiation)
....CHANNEL 2 NEWS UPDATE.....

This just in..... A man driving a loud Vtwin powered golf cart beats up an old woman over a welder negotiation. The woman reportedly wouldn't lower her price so the man screamed "SOUTHERN NEGOTIATION!!" and gave her a wallop to the noggin. The man on the golf cart disappeared without a trace.

That's it! I'm turning you in!!!

disclaimer.....THIS IS FAKE....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old-lady-beat-up (1).jpg (46.2 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!