lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2021, 07:02 AM   #11
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Custom seat covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briboy View Post
I did not start this thread to cause issues or "out" anyone, and thought it strange they would not take this job, and I don't think I sounded like "That Guy you don't want to work for"
Here is the email.

I'm sorry, but we don't do that. The covers we make are for standard seats only. Your best bet would be to find a local upholster.

On Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 09:32:31 PM EST, Brian Quigley <brian_quigley@comcast.net> wrote:

Good Evening
I live in NJ and I am restoring an uncommon Golf Cart.
It did not come with seats and I re-engineered the seat configuration a little.
I really like the 1 stripe seat covers on your site.
Here is the big question
If I sent you a cardboard template and color pallets.
Would you be able to make the cover for this template?
The seats are not far off from most other Golf carts.
Front seat base is 40" x 18" With a middle curve up front like a seat back.
Front seat back is 38" x 16" perfect rectangle
Rear seat base is 40" x 18" perfect rectangle
Rear seat back is 38" x 12" perfect rectangle

The colors are Ford Blue and Pure White
White would be the outside and the blue would be the stripe.
The attached picture is to illustrate the curve in the front seat base.

Thank you
Brian
No Brian. Nothing to do with you. In fact, I think you have a great idea and wish you the best. My comment was that I'm surprised you were told that. It could be they don't want to deal with a curve and a cardboard template. IDK That's all. This thread is not about uptopar. I probably shouldn't have said anything.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #12
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
Sewingmachinesplus.com The Reliable Barracuda 200 ZW has several reviews on YouTube and is a good entry machine for under $500, on sale.
What would stop me from doing it? All the hassle of establishing a business, getting the license, paying monthly sales tax, quarterly taxes..... etc.......etc.... been there, done that. Using an accountant gets expensive for a hobby business.
I looked at this a few times now, I would want the long arm style but looks to be a great start and priced well even with the table and welting foot.
As for business, I have a small business now that will dry up when I move away, I maintain an apartment complex. So it would eventually be a trade off.
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #13
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

I think it all depends on the product you produce and the price you charge. Golf carts are a specific market but you are also competing against local upholstery shops. Your work has to be equal to or better than them or be significantly cheaper. I think UptoPar which I have also used in the past has great prices and great work but they do a very high volume which keeps prices lower than other small businesses and they have the templates. For an upholstery shop to do fully custom seats with contrasting welting, stripes,etc. I would expect to pay $200-250 a set for excellent flawless work.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:35 PM   #14
ecoast
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

you don't need a long arm machine

templates are created from pattern paper or clear 4mil plastic

do not buy sailrite machine

you want a compound-feed ('walking foot')machine

welt foot is an attachment that's added when doing piping

I have done canvas/upholstery for 15+

here's a shocker:
I will buy my covers; unless I get a wild hair to create something that's actually custom

---the fact that you can get front/rear, 2 stripe (4 pieces) for $150 is a GREAT deal; once you remove materials/time, not a lot of $$$ being made for what you are getting

of course if you want a retirement hobby, that's all good but a decent (used) juki 1508/562/563 or consew 206rb is $$$
ecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:31 PM   #15
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoast View Post
you don't need a long arm machine

templates are created from pattern paper or clear 4mil plastic

do not buy sailrite machine

you want a compound-feed ('walking foot')machine

welt foot is an attachment that's added when doing piping
I have done canvas/upholstery for 15+

here's a shocker:
I will buy my covers; unless I get a wild hair to create something that's actually custom

---the fact that you can get front/rear, 2 stripe (4 pieces) for $150 is a GREAT deal; once you remove materials/time, not a lot of $$$ being made for what you are getting

of course if you want a retirement hobby, that's all good but a decent (used) juki 1508/562/563 or consew 206rb is $$$
Ecoast
Thanks for the input.
This is still on my mind, however life got real busy and I am redoing my entire workshop at the moment (redoing my heating oil tanks)
When complete I will have an area dedicated to this hobby and actually start looking for work locally.
I continually monitor for a decent deal on a compound or strait walking foot machine. I found a few but was hesitant to pull the trigger with all the disorganization in my basement/garage right now.
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop