lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
heavygs
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Latest Project G1

Steve- You got that right about what people do to their vehicles, wait till you see the welds on the front suspension

GMB- Thanks for the links, the oil tank was empty when I changed the lines, I'll try priming the pump next time

I dropped the front suspension this morning, man was it ####ed up. Bolts and nuts rounded off, some metric, some sae, and sloppy welds on everything. 2 of the tie rod ends are ruined and I don't know if I can salvage the adjustment sleeves or not. The battery in my camera died so I'll get some pics later. Now its time for beer and football.
heavygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #22
heavygs
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Stopped by my garage on my way home to pick up some tools and took some pics of the pieces I took off the front end. Check out the boogers on those welds.

Discovered another glitch, went to move the cart and couldn't release the parking brake. Is there a special trick, on my EZ Go you just step on the lower part of the pedal. To get it to release I had to move a rod on the back by hand, is something broke or missing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6674.jpg (90.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6676.jpg (85.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6677.jpg (91.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6678.jpg (82.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 11-02-2010, 06:57 AM   #23
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

All old yamaha the gas pedal releases the brake. It needs to be adjusted so there is pressure on brake when it locks or it will not work well.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #24
heavygs
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sho305- Thx, I found the adjuster bolt and it wasn't hitting the release. A little tweaking and some wd-40 and it works fine now.

Been tinkering with the cart a bit and picked up a donor cart, it was buried in some weeds, 3 flat tires and a locked up motor. Someone has already been taking parts off of it, the dash and key switch are gone, also the coil, but the body and the front suspension are in better shape than mine. Its hard to see in the pics but the whole thing has a coating of light moss on it, must have been there a while. Got it back to the garage yesterday and tore the front suspension off, came off pretty easy once I got all the weeds pulled out. Took all the pieces and put them on my cart, now the steering actually works. I also put the stock shocks back on the rear of the cart, you can now ride on the cart without getting bounced off the seat.

I have another issue, every now and then when you go to start it the starter won't turn. The solenoid clicks, the battery is at 12.8v and if you put in reverse the buzzer sounds, but the starter doesn't spin. I'm thinking it is going bad, anyway of actually testing the starter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6679.jpg (67.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6681.jpg (75.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6682.jpg (71.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #25
lanesharon
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

On cars, we always bypassed the starter with a screwdriver. I am not sure it would apply here, but here is a webpage discussing how to test the starter for cars:
http://www.type2.com/bartnik/starter.htm
lanesharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #26
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Check the sticky at the top of the forum, "So Your Yami Won't Turn Over". lots of good info there. My guess is a corroded connection somewhere. Possibly worn brushes in the starter/generator. You could pull them out and check them if your wiring tests out OK. You could also take the s/g to a good automotive starter/alternator repair shop for testing or repair if needed.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #27
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Here is how I did mine..

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ator-test.html
ky_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #28
lanesharon
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thumbs up Re: Latest Project G1

TY Ky_Mike. Too bad we can't have a sticky section on the forums where all these great posts can get listed together without overloading the sticky section at the top of the forums. This is a keeper post.
lanesharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #29
heavygs
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thx for the suggestions

Started going thru the wiring and found a bunch of other stuff that was bad. The key switch was bad, but that's no big deal because I was going to get a new one anyway. Got the new one today, one glitch taken care of. The switch under the gas pedal had a bad connector, swapped out the one from the donor cart, 2 down. Both the plus and minus fuses were messed up, wires cut and twisted back together, no wire nuts or connectors on them. Upgraded to ATC fuse holders, 3 down. I've got the starter/gen off right now, the posts had a little corrosion on them, going to check it out next with ky-mike's check list.

Made up this color wiring diagram, got tired of squinting at the other, might help somebody else too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring.jpg (82.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 11-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #30
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You can put brushes in them. I'd check wiring really close and remember the cart is not frame ground like a car so any issue with the negative wires will screw things up just like a bad connection on a positive wire. After working on cars its real easy to forget that on these carts. G1 also commonly have issues with the two large solenoids, but they rarely both go bad at once....but because of that they can tip you in to what the problem is; if it is part of the reverse or forward ignitions or not.

The generator/starters are really old tech. Many old cars used them as well as 60s/70s garden tractors. However you could say these carts were one of, or the first hybrid in that they don't waste fuel idling lol.

I spotted an ugly G1 around here I should stop and ask about it. Man is it ugly so I'm not that excited, someone got crazy with spraycans and who knows what else.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha