lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
GoTeeMan
EZ Like Sunday Morning

E-Z-GO

Thumbs down 1982 EZGO 2PG cart was just fully submerged in flood, what should I do/look for?

How should I proceed?
GoTeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1982 EZGO 2PG cart was just fully submerged in flood, what should I do/look for?

Well no one seems to be picking this up so I will give it a go. First off remove the battery.

Engine.
If it was completely submerged then the crankcase will be full of water. It is important that the engine is not turned over as the downstroke of the piston will create huge pressures on the crankcase and at the very least rupture the crankshaft seals. Remove the spark plug and the fuel pump (removing the fuel pump will open the vacuum line and allow the crankcase to vent). Now turn the engine over by hand slowly, if you feel any resistance just back off and try again. After several rotations you should have removed any residual water. Now you are going to have to clean the carb (and the fuel pump) so I would remove the carb, elbow and reed valve. To prevent your lower end rusting you need to spray some WD40 or similar into the crankcase through the reed valve housing. Actually I might be tempted to pour a quart of 2 cycle oil in there and let it sit. At this stage a drip pan under the engine would be an act of kindness for your shop floor.

Fuel System.
Remove the fuel tank and clean it out. Remove all the fuel lines and filters, you could clean then out but this would be an opportunity to replace them and this is a low cost fix. Of course the carb will need cleaning and I recommend that you dismantle the fuel pump as well. Note the orientation of the top by drawing a line down the side of the pump. If you get the lid on in any of the 5 incorrect positions it will not fit past the generator bracket.

Starter/Generator
Get it dried out and remove the four rubber plugs. Spray WD40 on the armature lavishly. The WD stands for water dispersal so hopefully that is all you will need to do.

Rear axle / brakes
Remove the differential rear plate (don't forget an oil catcher). Even if the water did not permeate the differential changing the oil will not hurt. You will not be able to find a replacement gasket but I used a bead of mega gray silicone and it worked fine. When I did mine I took the opportunity to spray paint the cover and make it look slick. Remove the brake drums and check the brakes out. Remove the shoes and clean. Yes indeed I sound like a rep for WD40 but a spray around the moving parts won't hurt. This would be a good time to check the hub grease.

Electrical system
My main concern would be the voltage regulator. You can bet that water is trapped in there. I would remove it and gently prise off the cover. Again clean it out with a little you know what. Remove the solenoid and shake it, does anything leak out. If not connect the two small terminals to a battery and see if it clonks in and out. The rest of it is all encapsulated and should have survived. If you measure the resistance on the red / blue from the pulsar you should see 75 to 150 ohms. Across the green and orange to the coil 3 to 4 ohms.

Peripherals
Remove the clutch covers and clean out any residue. Check the front hub grease. Hit all the swivels and bushes on the steering with a grease gun. Do the same with the steering box and keep pumping until you see clean grease oozing out of the rod end.

Did I forget anything? I guess so but doubtless brighter minds will chip in.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO