lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Bogie king
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Removing body skins for paint ?

Hey guys, new here..... I might be getting the cart in front of the horse here, but I am picking up a yamaha cart this Saturday. I'm not positive which one I'm getting yet, he has many to pick from, but it sounds like it will be a 2004 gas cart..... It's going to be the plain old white, or off white color. I want to paint the body skins on it this coming fall-winter, and was just wondering how big of a job is it to pull them ? Is there alot of bolts holding them on, or not too bad ? Looking forward to the project, but I will probably use as is till the golf season is over here in Wisconsin....... thanks in advance.....
Bogie king is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Chopped top Caddy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Removing body skins for paint ?

I haven't actually pulled one off of a Yamaha, but I'm fixing to repaint and fix up a g16, the guys at the cart shop says you can pull the body off in about 15 minutes, hopefully someone else will chime in and let us know for sure.
Chopped top Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Very easy, first time, maybe 20 minutes.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wisconsin has a "golf season"???
TROUBADOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Bogie king
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROUBADOUR View Post
Wisconsin has a "golf season"???
Yep, same as baseball season.... ha,ha

Thanks guys, I will have to investigate a little more when I get the cart home..
Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
lj-rubi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

The hardest part is probably removing the roof and roof supports so the body will lift off. Its all down hill after that.
lj-rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I have now done two G16a's, and am pretty handy with tools after lots of muscle car restorations. I think there is some exaggeration going on, on just how quick it is. ROFL There are a quite a few nuts all the way around the front cowl that will take at least 20 minutes themselves, with two screws under the Yamaha name badge.

Then there are two long 10mm bolts in the bag well, two allen screws on the sides, the shift lever, and removal of the top brackets, seat and seat backs. Not a real big deal, but I would put it at an hour if you plan on reusing your parts. :D
HemiED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

An hour to remove body skin? Certainly wouldn't want to depend on you for a Bris !!!
TROUBADOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
Bogie king
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Well, I finally figured out what cart I'm getting. It's a 2005, G22A. So I'm not sure if the skins are easier or harder to get off on that model, but I will find out soon enough I guess...
Old 06-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROUBADOUR View Post
An hour to remove body skin? Certainly wouldn't want to depend on you for a Bris !!!
Well I haven't tried a G2, G8 or G9 yet. But on a G16, unless crap is just flying, I think that is a good time. There has to be about 15 10mm nuts around the cowl skin alone, and some of those are a tight fit around the drink holder.

I think I spent at least 20 minutes on the roof racks, making sure I didn't tear stuff up, but maybe that is just me.

On both of my carts, the seat support nuts/bolts were rusted some, and rather stubborn and in an awkward position.

Of course, going back now, since I put Anti-seeze on most of it going together, I bet I could do it now in close to 20 minutes since I know the sizes of everything.
HemiED is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha