lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Angelene175
Not Yet Wild

Default Headlight wiring question

We are trying to hook up lights to our 1992 ez go marathon. We got the full kit with the lights and cowl cap and wiring harness. We are having a problem wiring the wires to the lights and parking lights. The instructions did not specify which color wires go into which light...there are 4 wires per side...2 yellow and 2 black. 2 go into the parking light and 2 go into the main light. We have no idea which goes where. We have tried several ways but none are working. Help?
Angelene175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Headlight wiring question

My first guess would be that the yellow are your hot + wires and the black are the negative - wires. One hot and one negative to each light. I would probably try to trace them back to the switch and see which color is which. If you can't tell at that point I would cover then ends of all of the wires with a piece of electrical tape to insulate them and then hook up the switch and harness to the battery. I would then switch the lights on and use a test light to figure out which ones are the hot wires.
hilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Angelene175
Not Yet Wild

Thank you! We didn't try that way!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Angelene175
Not Yet Wild

Ahhhh...still not working! I have no idea what we are doing wrong...very frustrated.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Are you grounding the lights directly back to the battery? Most of these carts do no use a chassis ground, the only way the lights will work is if they are grounded to the battery.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
Angelene175
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilla View Post
Are you grounding the lights directly back to the battery? Most of these carts do no use a chassis ground, the only way the lights will work is if they are grounded to the battery.
Ok, you are only speaking to the mechanically ignorant messanger here. My husband does the actual work. So when I explain this to him, I want to make sure I have an exact understanding. How do you ground the lights to the battery? I know he has two wires hooked to the battery but the (VERY limited) directions stated to ground the lights to the body somehow.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

No problem. What I have done is to hook the grounds from both of the headlights together and then run a wire from there back to the negative post of the battery. I do the same for the tail lights. This assures me that I have a good ground and if I do have issues I only have to check one grounding point and one wire.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Angelene175
Not Yet Wild

This worked! Thank you!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

You are very welcome. Enjoy your lighted cart. I know I do mine.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO