lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
bthinerman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Post EZGO TXT Problems

Hey!

This is my first post on the BuggiesGoneWild forum.

Me and my dad just sold our beautiful 2003(ish) golf cart. It was awesome! 36v, High Speed Controller, Lifted, Custom Seats, and everything else you could think of.

Long story short, it was right place at the right time kind of deal; so we sold it to a good family who we knew.

Yesterday, we bought a 1996 EZGO TXT, and that’s about all I know about it.

Now to the problems-

It runs slower than regular, regular being golf course speed, and with a full charge, there is no difference. It does not sound like anything is wrong, except for the fact that it doesn’t go fast. We do want to put a HSC on it, but we would like it to run normally before modifying it.

It also has the horrible reverse sound, and after brief research, I don’t know how to disconnect it.

Last thing, I believe it’s a 1996, but I’m not sure how to verify that. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance,
bthinerman
bthinerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: EZGO TXT Problems

Welcome to the forum! How old are the batteries? Have you checked voltage across the whole pack?

The manufacturing date code should be in the passenger side glove box. The reverse buzzer is likely on the FNR switch under the seat.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
bthinerman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks! Batteries are 6 months old, which was a major selling point for us. Due to this, I have not checked the voltage, which I assume is not an issue since the batteries are so new.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
bthinerman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It’s slow, but runs solid. No knocks, but a vibration when going downhill. Could it be something in the motor?
Old 05-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthinerman View Post
Thanks! Batteries are 6 months old, which was a major selling point for us. Due to this, I have not checked the voltage, which I assume is not an issue since the batteries are so new.
Assume nothing. Improperly cared for batteries can be completely dead in 10-12 months. Check the water levels, and the voltage for each battery and the total pack.
Then connect a meter to the pack and go for a drive - what is the lowest reading you see while driving?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
bthinerman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Will check when I get home. The water levels are normal. Keep in mind, this is my first project cart, so if I throw out things that are random, sorry in advance.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 05-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
bthinerman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Also, the body of the cart says “48V TXT” but the batteries are 6 6Vs. How do I know if it’s a 36V or 48V system? Could it be running with the wrong batteries? (6v instead of 8V) The seller said it was a 36V.

Last edited by bthinerman; 05-09-2019 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 05-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #8
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If the batteries have 3 vent caps on top then they are 6v and 4 vent caps will be 8 volts multiply the number of batteries times the voltage when you determine what batteries you have.

Pictures help.
Dwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #9
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthinerman View Post
Also, the body of the cart says “48V TXT” but the batteries are 6 6Vs. How do I know if it’s a 36V or 48V system? Could it be running with the wrong batteries? (6v instead of 8V) The seller said it was a 36V.
Now that is interesting as you stated that the cart is a 1996 EZGO TXT. I own the same cart and it originally was a 36v DCS. I didn't know they made 48v TXTs in 1996.

If you want to know more about the cart get the serial number and go here https://shop.txtsv.com/vehicle/ and enter the serial number in the left panel. Will tell you what the factory config was for the cart.

For example, mine comes out as:

Make: E-Z-GO TXT
Powertrain: Electric 36 V
Sub Model: TXT Standard (DCS)
Year: 1996
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #10
bthinerman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapled View Post
Now that is interesting as you stated that the cart is a 1996 EZGO TXT. I own the same cart and it originally was a 36v DCS. I didn't know they made 48v TXTs in 1996.

If you want to know more about the cart get the serial number and go here https://shop.txtsv.com/vehicle/ and enter the serial number in the left panel. Will tell you what the factory config was for the cart.

For example, mine comes out as:

Make: E-Z-GO TXT
Powertrain: Electric 36 V
Sub Model: TXT Standard (DCS)
Year: 1996
That’s what I thought as well. I’m thinking they might have done a body swap, as it was owned and operated with a fleet, so that would be the easiest fix. I’ll check the serial number out. Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO