lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
chackett
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 DS Headlights Wiring Diagram

Hey All-

My folks gifted me their old golf cart when they got a new one. If I have deciphered the serial number correctly (AQ0848-985380) I believe that means I have a 2008 Club Car DS IQ?

Anyway, I'm starting to work through it and see what I can repair or improve with it. Beyond any "programming" that can be done, I imagine they haven't done anything to it.

Is there a wiring diagram that can help me figure out these dang headlights? I replaced both bulbs but can't seem to get them working. Following wires I was able to determine that the high / low button on the floor was disabled at some point. Looks like they just took that switch out of the circuit and crimped the wires together there to bypass the switch.

I tested 12v at the pull out headlights switch in the dash. I really thought I measured 12v across two (of the three) pins on the socket the bulb plugs into, but neither of the headlights work. I can take an upload a photo or two when I get home. But maybe a wiring diagram will help me figure out what in the name of Sam Hell is going on with these dang headlights.

Thanks!
Chris
chackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2008 DS Headlights Wiring Diagram

With the switch off and preferably the bulbs disconnected see if you get continuity across the leds of the bulbs. If no they are bad.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
chackett
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
With the switch off and preferably the bulbs disconnected see if you get continuity across the leds of the bulbs. If no they are bad.
Thanks. I'll double check them, but they're both brand new and both are not working. Seems doubtful (but not impossible) that both bulbs are bad .. but still worth confirming.

Chris
Old 08-11-2021, 03:24 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

What are you using for your ground point?
Old 08-12-2021, 08:03 AM   #5
chackett
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
What are you using for your ground point?
This is a good question, that I don't know the answer to :) If it's anything like my old outboard motor, there are lots of ground points throughout the motor / powerhead. Should I trace the headlights wire to find a ground point, or are there several known ground points I should check?

I definitely considered that a ground might be my problem (like on my motor or the lights on my trailer), but I don't know what the grounding scheme is on one of these things.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 08-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Ground point on a DS is normally near the charge port and looks like a buss bar. Do not ground to the frame.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:30 PM   #7
chackett
Not Yet Wild

Ok. Now I am thoroughly confused. What else is new.

As you can see from the attached photos, there are three wires going into the headlamp connector, green, white and blue. I assume green is ground and white and black are high and low beams. When the headlights switch is ON, I am getting 12.7v across green and blue. On the passenger side there is a single wire coming from the harness to each of the connectors on the headlight. On the driver side, it's the same color and same voltage, but there are 2 wires coming from the harness to the bulb connector.

So with the headlights on, I am getting 12v across green and blue, but with the bulb in the socket, I got nothing. What the heck.

Oh .. the last photo is the underside where the hi/lo beam switch is on the floorboard. You can see the bullet type connector that was installed to connect a blue wire with the orange. You can also see a white connector just hanging there. I get 12v across the blue and white wire there. I assume this was at some point the high beams or something.

Good lord I'm confused.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210812_180902122.jpg (69.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210812_181012482.jpg (76.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210812_181114975.jpg (50.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210812_181650685.jpg (83.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-13-2021, 01:12 PM   #8
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is a fuzzy wiring diagram that shows all the wire colors. It is readable. It also includes the dimmer sw and the horn button as well. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DS Light Wiring.pdf (1,017.1 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #9
chackett
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
Here is a fuzzy wiring diagram that shows all the wire colors. It is readable. It also includes the dimmer sw and the horn button as well. Good luck.
Nice! Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

Chris
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car