lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
newb24
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2010 Yamaha Drive Transaxle Oil Change

Well, I just got my Yamaha Drive a few weeks ago and it started making noise with a load in the back, I figured it was over due so thought I would start by draining the transaxle oil and see if that would do anything to assist with the noise.

I'm very new at this and am handy but not mechanically inclined with motors and mechanical items.

My best advice to any other newbs trying this is to just crawl underneath the cart and take out the inspection/fill plug and the drain plug, I read or saw somewhere about accessing the fill plug under the bag compartment, I'm not sure my 10 year old's hand can fit in there, I know mine couldn't. Filling it back up with gear oil was a magic trick for me, I could barely get the bottle out and with the rear seat in, I'm not sure a funnel would have worked any better.

Here are some photos of what came out of there...see attached. The drain plug had about a half inch of gunk on it and the rest came out like black sludge.

I tried to tilt and lean the cart to get it all out and dumped some fresh gear oil in to help get all of it out, I did my best but I wish I had a better way to flush it or something. I don't know if this is normal, but the smell was god awful and it was so thick and so black, I ended up with it all over me.

Good news is that I got that stuff out, bad news is I still need to get some more oil because I wasted so much trying to flush it out.

I didn't see any shavings or anything in there and everything looks dry underneath so I guess we will have to wait and see if it fixes or helps anything, regardless I think it needed changed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0159.jpg (304.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0160.jpg (135.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0161.jpg (146.5 KB, 0 views)
newb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
cohocarl
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2010 Yamaha Drive Transaxle Oil Change

I don't know if the Drive's transaxle is the same as my G22's, but I removed the back cover on the pumpkin when I changed mine. It had a little junk in the very bottom, but nothing like that.

I wonder what kind of lube Yamaha is putting in these things. I've seen car and truck rear ends with 100,000 miles on them without an oil change ever that don't have junk in them like these do.
cohocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Attached are the transaxle oil change instructions right out of the service manual. This is reference for anyone else looking to change the gear oil in their Drive G29.

Yamaha recommends changing the oil every 4 years with 46oz of SAE80 limited slip gear oil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil change 1.jpg (125.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg oil change 2.jpg (61.5 KB, 0 views)
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
cohocarl
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Yes, Drives have a limited slip posi rear differential.
Thank you for that info. I apologize, I was not aware of this. If I could edit my post, I would.

I'd make sure the new fluid is correct, and designed for limited slip differentials.
cohocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Newb---because the Drive has the disk brake with multiple disks inside the transaxle, I am sure as the disks wear, there is some material that gets sluffed off into the gear oil. As long as you didn't find any shavings or gear teeth, you should be good to go. I hope your brake noise is not because your disks are worn out. I think ,looking at yours, I will change the gear oil in mine more often than the recommended every 4 years.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohocarl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe
Yes, Drives have a limited slip posi rear differential.
Thank you for that info. I apologize, I was not aware of this. If I could edit my post, I would.

I'd make sure the new fluid is correct, and designed for limited slip differentials.
I was wrong, just checked the manual again and it looks like the "clutches" I thought were limited slip discs and steels are actually the wet braking system. This must be why they require limited gear oil.

I edited my prior post on servicing the transaxle.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Posi, nope. Wet brakes, yep. Brakes are why LSD "friction modified" fluid is required.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
newb24
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

well round 2. After thinking about it, i decided to go ahead and drive around a bit and then drain the gear oil back out.

As you can see, sludge was built back up on on the drain plug and the oil is dark as night. I flushed a whole quart up in the drain plug and tried sucking some out with the bottle.

i'm convinced there is more sludge down in there but that is above my pay grade to try and get it out.

So I'm going to fill it back up, drive around for 6 months or so and do this all again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.jpg (151.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0164.jpg (124.3 KB, 0 views)
newb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Drain and add just automatic transmission fluid, cheapest you can find. Run easy for a mile or so then drain and fill with gear oil as specified. The high detergents in ATF will break down the sludge and not damage bearings for such a short run.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Drain and add just automatic transmission fluid, cheapest you can find. Run easy for a mile or so then drain and fill with gear oil as specified. The high detergents in ATF will break down the sludge and not damage bearings for such a short run.
That's a real good idea. I would give that a try Newb.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha