lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
jmied01
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 48v stuck in "overvoltage shutdown"

Hey all, newbie here with some problems...

Bought my 2001 Club Car 48v and went straight for a 6" lift and tires. Somehow, after the dust settled, reconnected the batteries, went for a ride and long story short, fried the stock controller. Then went for the Alltrax 500amp; installation went off without a hitch; all worked great. After a few trips around the yard, I thought maybe I'm due for a little charge. Plugged it in, and thought it was weird that the charger clicked, but not the controller, as it normally would with the stock one. Anyway, went back to work, and batts charged about 6-7 hrs. Came back to the cart at night and charger was still cranking and a couple batteries seemed to have boiled. (uh-oh.) Unplugged cart, and no go. Controller now shows 7 red blinks; aka, "overvoltage shutdown". Now after about 2 hrs, still blinking red and no go. Did I fry my OBC? Did I sizzle my batteries? How can I draw my batts down to kick the controller off shutdown? I need help!
jmied01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2009, 03:06 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: 2001 48v stuck in "overvoltage shutdown"

Welcome to BGW

Its possibly the over voltage setting on the Alltrax is set too low. Not very common but I have seen it once. Can you take a reading of the entire pack voltage? Theres no real good way to pull them all down unless you have a Dc to DC convertor and run something. I'd take a pack voltage reading and go from there.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
jmied01
Not Yet Wild

Finally found my multimeter; checked the batts and was running 50.4 volts. I ended up disconnecting 1 battery from the pack to get it back into acceptable range and ran down the other 5 until I could reconnect the 6th. After alot of screwing around; riding, testing, riding testing; the overvoltage finally kicked off after it dropped below 49 volts. So yeah, obviously I need the programming kit. Anyone know a good place to get a hold of one? I can download the program off Alltrax's website, and they talk about an rs-232 cable you can get at any radioshack, but cable end looks nothing like the connectors on the speed controller. Guess I need some sort of adapter. Hmm...
Old 11-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

The Alltrax connection is actually INSIDE the cotroller. There is a round black flat plastic disc on the face of the unit that must be removed to gain access to the multi-pin plug.
gornoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can get the cable at radio shack. ... You may want to try to let the pack settle 30 minutes after charging and before running? This may eliminate the need to reprogram? But yeah, 50.1 is normal. & no adapter is needed; the data port is under the rubber plug
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You can get the cable at radio shack. ... You may want to try to let the pack settle 30 minutes after charging and before running? This may eliminate the need to reprogram? But yeah, 50.1 is normal. & no adapter is needed; the data port is under the rubber plug
Here is a chart which is reliable http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-readings.html
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

ANy update on this?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
jmied01
Not Yet Wild

Ahh, yes. I'm a little slow on uptake, but I'll get there. And I should probably do a little more investigation before I post. I just figured seeing the original speed controller was closed up tighter than fort knox, I didn't know if I dared mess around, pulling plugs and parts off of the new one. But by the chart, 50.4v should be fine. Guess I've just got to get my cable and download the program to adjust. Only problem is, the only functioning computer I've got is my wife's work unit; no downloads allowed. So, I'm sure I'll get it figured out and I'll tryto update when I do, but I don't know when that'll be. Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

Tags
alltrax, charging, obc
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car