lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
BigDaddyChopShop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Upgrades- Mind is officially blown!

So, the wife drove the cart last night and commented, "its cool, but slow".

I told here I knew we could make it faster.

So I start looking at Scotty's site, and man, is my mind blown!

On my build thread, it was suggested to go 48v. It has also been commented to go 42 v. (Which, is easier it seems since I have a ready-made spot for that extra battery. I'd like to avoid changing to 6-8v batteries right now, but may when these die.

However, when I look at controllers, and solenoids (as well as reversing contractors) it seems they are all 36 or 48!

So lets say I want to run 20 mph, give or take. 1999 Era Series cart- I DO NOT want to lose torque or range. Cart is stock now. What do I do?

Looks like I'd be in around $800 not including batteries- Can someone (ScottyB?) point me in the right direction for a package?
BigDaddyChopShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrades- Mind is officially blown!

truly scotty will be the one to point out your best package.....your cart is a SERIES.....regardless of the actual package, by going to 42v, you will pick up roughly 17% bump in both torque and speed, 48v would get you roughly 33%. As you noticed, all of the aftermarket packages scotty sells will run 36-48v.

other than the package you pick, you will need a new appropriate sized DPI charger (either 42v or 48v), which scotty also set you up with.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The first thing you read about upgrades on my website is series carts are the workhorses not the speed demons. Once you accept this we can go about making the cart quicker with more top end. A voltage increase is a must. 48v is best, as Nuke pointed out, it nets double the gains of 42v. Both require a new charger. You can add 2 more 6v to the rear bagwell for a total of 8/6v. I prefer to go to 6/8v batteries, they weight about 150 pounds less than 8/6v and this improves performance by reducing the weight to hp ratio.

Component wise, the cost is the same for 42v versus 48v. The difference being 1 battery. For a series cart wanting speed, I strongly suggest 48v. For moderate terrain & tire size 22" or less use the SR48400 control, 2 or 4g cable throughout and a HD F&R. THis will get the stock motor to 18-20 mph depending upon the tire size. Motor upgrade is also an option.

I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Email me for specific recommendations. scottyb@cartsunlimited.net
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
BigDaddyChopShop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you Scottyb, and Sir Nuke, much appreciated. Scotty, I will send you a message shortly.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
jmauld
Getting Wild

I just went down this same path, but I'm looking for a little more speed than you. Maybe up to 25mph.

The cost is substantial, close to $2000 when you include all new batteries.
SR48500 controller
new solenoid
HD F/R switch
New Battery pack
48V charger
and wires.

Followed by a motor for me, which you may not need.
jmauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Since you are trying to keep stock torque (or better), try to stick with as short of tires that will get you the desired speed.

Stock speed at 36V on 18" tall tires is about 14MPH. Going to 42V will up that to about 16.3MPH and going to 48V will up it to 18.6MPH.

With 42V you will need 22" tall tires to get 20MPH, but 22" tires will cost you 18% of the available torque.
However upping to 42V ups the torque by 16.7%, so the net loss is only 1.3%.

At 48V, you only need tires that are 19.4" tall to get 20.1MPH, so the torque loss is only 7.2%. The torque gain from going to 48V is 33.3%, so the net change in torque is a 26.1% torque gain. Also, you don't have to lift the cart to use tires under 20".

FWIW: You will see a torque gain going from a stock 275A controller to a 400A controller, but the gain is only at the low end, which doesn't affect how much the cart will slow going up hills. In a nutshell, the taller the tires, the more the cart slows going uphill.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Bigger tires say something about you. Like...."I now have less cash".....or "I just spent $1-Gazillion to go 25-mph.....or "Just don't even ask". OTOH....you can't take it with you.

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:55 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Since you are trying to keep stock torque (or better), try to stick with as short of tires that will get you the desired speed.

Stock speed at 36V on 18" tall tires is about 14MPH. Going to 42V will up that to about 16.3MPH and going to 48V will up it to 18.6MPH.

With 42V you will need 22" tall tires to get 20MPH, but 22" tires will cost you 18% of the available torque.
However upping to 42V ups the torque by 16.7%, so the net loss is only 1.3%.

At 48V, you only need tires that are 19.4" tall to get 20.1MPH, so the torque loss is only 7.2%. The torque gain from going to 48V is 33.3%, so the net change in torque is a 26.1% torque gain. Also, you don't have to lift the cart to use tires under 20".

FWIW: You will see a torque gain going from a stock 275A controller to a 400A controller, but the gain is only at the low end, which doesn't affect how much the cart will slow going up hills. In a nutshell, the taller the tires, the more the cart slows going uphill.

not to discredit a super smart guy (who i have learned plenty from, i love numbers), but i think "top speed - climbing a hill" speed can sometimes be increased with a upgraded controller. a overtaxed stock controller will be limited by its max "continuous output rating" more easily than an upgrade controller, and that could lower the performance on the trip home after a long haul, since the pack will be at a lower voltage after the long trip, and stock controllers are not known for their "oem ratings" to be the most honest compared to upgrade stuff.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:45 AM   #10
BigDaddyChopShop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Guys. Scotty emailed me over a real nice package, and its currently before the finance board at the BigDaddy Estate (wife).

I have decided to stick to stock tires. Cheap, torque stays up, stable. I may end up actually going with something different in the future, but nothing crazy.

Thanks for the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO