lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Tie rod extension issue Jakes Long Travel

Hey everyone!

I installed the Jake's Long Travel kit on my 2009 Yamaha G29. When I went to go align the cart I ran into an issue. My tie rod extension appears to be too long. It is cranked all the way tight (tightening allows you to "toe out" the tire) and I still have 1" toe in (instead of 1/8"). I will attach a picture below to better help explain what is going on. If someone could please post a picture of their cart put together and aligned that would be a huge help, to see if yours looks the same... (and if you have time measure and see how long your extension piece is). I am currently talking with the guys at Jake's but they seem to be just as confused as I am.

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tie Rod Extension Issue.JPG (43.7 KB, 0 views)
JakeJones8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Tie rod extension issue Jakes Long Travel

Ok, this is a geometry kind of thing. How do I know? Because I just did this very install on my 2000 EZ-GO TXT. So, I'll give you the idea of what you need to do......but I can't recall the "technical" name of those upper and lower A-Frame "knuckle joints" I'll refer to 'em as "KJ" for typing. What you have to do is adjust those KJ's on the top A-Frame.....both the one's at the spindle AND the one's connected to the Jake's sub-frame. Yes.....adjusting the one's at the sub-frame does require you to remove the brass bolt that attaches the A-frame to the sub-frame.

So....adjust all of the ones that attach to the sub-frame to be at least "half-way" (or half the thread length that those silver gizmo's thread into the A-frame tubes) and then tighten the lock nut. Do the same for the upper A-frame connections.....and do this for both sides.

Now, this should provide "additional adjustment" the toe in\out of your extensions. Yeah.........at first glance it may not appear that its going to work "in your head", but believe me.....it will.

You may need to adjust the lower A-frame one's at the spindle, in more and the upper A-frame out more. Or vice-versa. I can't recall at the moment. But this will give you more toe in\out adjustment. Now, you may have to make additional adjustments via the KJ adjustments at the sub-frame. Like adjust the bottom all the way in and the top 3/4 of the way out. Yes.....that is a PITA because you have to remove the bolts in the sub-frame to do this. But....you only gotta do this once. Also, I DID NOT adjust those threaded KJ "pieces" out more than 3/4 of the thread length. I was concerned that not enough thread in the A-frame could cause the A-frame tube to crack. I have no instructions that cite that......it was just a "gut feel" on my part.

Now, my cart is for hunting so speed is not really an issue. I got my toe in to like 1/2" and called it done. I could have fooled with it more.....but in the dirt at the speed I drive, it's not noticeable.

I hope this makes sense and helps. BTW.....the Jakes guys are salesmen. They have never did an install of these.....so don't expect much. They didn't tell me that......but ask enough questions and it becomes clear.

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Dave,

Thank you for your reply! What you said completely makes sense because you are basically making the tires slightly wider and "adding length" to the tie rod by having to reach out further (although I think it is ridiculous you had to do that, why cant they just make their kits work in the first place? ha).

However, on the Yamaha G29's we don't have those "KJ" adjustments at the frame side of the upper and lower control arms, just the spindle side. (see picture below). I will check when I get home how far the spindle side will extend out but like you said I am afraid if you extend them too far you could break them due to pressure. I am considering calling up a metal shop and seeing if they can do a clean/fine cut through my current extension and take like an inch off. Just worried about messing up the threads if they do that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Welded upper A arms.jpg (97.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Here is an additional picture. On the Yamaha's the top A-arm mounts to the actual frame with the stock hardware and the bottom A-arm mounts to a new sub-frame you have to bolt on... little different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Control Arms.jpg (105.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yeah....I see that your's are directly bolted to the sub-frame with no additional KJ's there to adjust. Well, see what kind of length you get after adjusting 'em.

BTW, your top photo shows the shocks mounted the same as mine are.....the solid part of the shock on top, along with the spring tension ring and the lock ring. But on your subsequent photos, the shocks are mounted "upside down" from what the top pic shows, and from how mine are mounted. I don't know if this is how "Yammy's" are done or not.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Ha, yeah so the adjustable part is supposed to go up like in the first picture. When I first installed everything I installed them as the instructions showed (strut on top) and after calling the Jake's guys because it was hitting the control arm they informed me they are actually to be mounted adjustable side up on these new shocks but nobody ever changed the instructions... THANKS ALOT!! Wasn't the only issue I ran into because the instructions are from "when they first made the kit"

Anybody out there got a Yamaha and successfully installed this lift??
Old 08-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

update:

Guy at Jake's finally called me back. He said you have to do exactly what Dave mentioned above. Us Yamaha's don't have adjustable at both sides of the control arm but the ones by the tires have to be out about a quarter inch or so and that should provide enough space to toe out what I need. Will try this weekend and post a pic!

You the man Dave!
Old 08-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I only post what I know. So.....obviously, I don't post much.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:17 PM   #9
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Final update. Adjusted the two points out at the spindle and was able to create enough room on the tie rod I could get it aligned 1/8th toe in. I believe I was 5 full rotations out for the top and 8 for the bottom but each cart could be different. I attached the final picture below. I still only had a couple spare threads on the tie rod but atleast it worked!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8423.jpg (178.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-14-2017, 06:58 AM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

That looks great!! My only other comment is to check your "lock nuts" on the spindle joints after you have driven it a few times. Things seem to break in and my lock nuts needed re-tightened.

Tags
6" lift, extension, jakes long travel, tie rod, yamaha drive
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha