lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
Gmrulz
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 Yamaha battery drain issue very odd, please help

Hi guys, new to the forum. I've had my Yamaha for about 1.5 years and she's been a good one. I bought all new batteries when I bought the cart. It's an 8 volt system. So I noticed a few weeks ago the cart was very sluggish and would slow down very quickly. I tested the batteries with a voltmeter and the outboard batteries the one on the far left and the one on the far right were very low whereas the middle 4 had close to 9volts each still. I charged then tested levels were good for all 6 batteries drove it and the same thing happened got sluggish quick, tested again outboard batteries 5.x volts and center 4 batteries had 8.7volts avg.

So I don't get it, all the connections are good, all the batteries take a good charge but it seems like it's only running off the 2 outboard batteries. Any help?
Gmrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #2
LPnTX
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2003 Yamaha battery drain issue very odd, please help

How are your lights, accessories and radio hooked up?
LPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
Gmrulz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnTX View Post
How are your lights, accessories and radio hooked up?
No lights or accessories. Factory stock cart. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:26 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It sounds like those 2 are bad, coincidental. There is no possible way the cart is "running off those 2" batteries. A "series string" draws equally from each battery as it can provide (that's why one weak one can shut the game down). None are "picked or chosen from" for power, each must provide. Live in a freezing environment? Perhaps they were at the edges and froze? That would damage the outer batteries first.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #5
Gmrulz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
It sounds like those 2 are bad, coincidental. There is no possible way the cart is "running off those 2" batteries. A "series string" draws equally from each battery as it can provide (that's why one weak one can shut the game down). None are "picked or chosen from" for power, each must provide. Live in a freezing environment? Perhaps they were at the edges and froze? That would damage the outer batteries first.
Gotcha. This helps, being fairly new to electric carts I was unsure if there was something else controller wise or elsewhere that could cause this issue. I didn't think so but I figured someone else may have experienced this. So my plan is to charge all the batteries swap those 2 to the middle and drive it see if those same two I moved to the middle drop again and if so I know it's those batteries. I have done the same thing swapping coils on LS engines in GM cars and trucks to find the bad coil.

Thanks for the help!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha