lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #1
Maximus Decimus
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Performance Options for Yamaha G29

Hi, first time poster here.

I am looking to add a little bit of speed to my Yamaha Drive cart and after some research, I just want to make sure I am understanding all my options and get opinions on what is best for me.

It currently has a 3" lift with 22" tires. Batteries are 2 years old. Before I put the larger tires on, it ran about 11-12 mph. Mostly drive it around the neighborhood. My kids take it to the ponds to fish. Mild hills.

1) Factory program the stock controller to get to around 19 mph. Not sure on cost, still playing phone tag with local dealer. Assuming $150??

2) Alltrax XCT 48300. Around $400. Should get me better top end. What will it do for torque with the bigger tires? Safe for factory motor? If I were to spend $400 on the 300 amp it seems like a no brainer to get the 400 amp for about $75 more and program it "down" for now with option of future upgrades. Will I still need 4 ga wires with the 400 amp if I am running stock motor at lower amps?

3) New motor. I hear stories of the Alltrax not doing much for the crappy stock motor, so worry the controller is not a good option and may not do much. Is a new motor and stock controller a better option?

I don't want anything crazy, my kids still ride and drive this cart. The ability for future upgrades using same components makes sense to me.

Any advice and or personal experiences are appreciated.

Have a good day!
Maximus Decimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
Maximus Decimus
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Performance Options for Yamaha G29

Factory programming to 19mph will cost me $200.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The first thing i did was get the xct48400 and with the stock motor i was at about 22mph, but yes it was programmed down for the stock motor. I then contacted Electrical Motor Products and Chuck built me a motor specific to my needs and now I'm flying along at 28mph with everything else stock other than hd solenoid and 4 gauge cables. I recommend contacting scottyb on this forum or ant cartsunlimited and he will get you all dialed in. Unmatched customer service too!!
Unsoshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I hated being tied down by a dealer having to program my cart. With the xct you program things yourself.
Unsoshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Maximus Decimus
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I am leaning towards just doing the Alltrax 48400. I need to keep it somewhat tame as my kids will be using the cart. 22 mph will be more than enough.

I’ve read on here that the stock solenoid on the Drive is Caitlyn hD and is ok with the 400 amp and stock motor? Will I need to upgrade to 4ga cables right away or only with hyped up motor? Also, just the battery cables, or also other cables to controller and motor?

I plan to definitely use the help those you mentioned, but just wondering to learn more

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-21-2018, 02:23 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yamaha Drives were offered with 2 different Trombetta solenoids. The earlier ones had this very nice (for factory equipment) 225a solenoid that is suitable for use with upgraded parts. They are easy to distinguish, the good Trombetta had the small wire terminals at the bottom, not on the top with the large terminals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 225A-48V-Bear-Series-Contactor-80403_f.jpg (42.3 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #7
Maximus Decimus
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks cgtech!

I will check it out when I get a minute.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #8
sports9924
Not Yet Wild

Talk with Dan at Plowmans Carts. He has options for what your are looking for.
I bought the riot kit and love it.
His customer service is excellent with no B.S!
sports9924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha