lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
hwill
Not Yet Wild

Default Getting a OHV tag?

I got the cart mostly together and want to get it legal to ride out at the local off-road spot here in Arizona. I need to get a OHV tag as I'm not looking to make it street legal.

The cart has been sitting years and no paper work has been found. How would I go about getting a title and license for it.

I heard to get an abandon title but wanted to ask here. I also heard that some of the old carts used for utility on private property never got a title.

Thanks
hwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Default Re: Getting a OHV tag?

Go to one of the off site registration places and get a bonded title. It costs more but I know a couple of guys have gotten them that way. Or you could go to the MVD and watch your life slowly tick away as you wait for your number to be called.
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:14 AM   #3
hwill
Not Yet Wild

Thanks.

The bonded title does look to be more money then the other options. I've been reading up and maybe it seems more difficult because they are dealing with vehicles that need to be street legal and need an inspection. It also looks like a more time consuming process to get an clear title. I'll look into it some more.

The MVD is not that bad here so I might try it one day when I have a few hours to kill.

Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Bamfster
Not Yet Wild

In colorado you do not need the title to get the OHV tag. I took the cart's VIN, make model and cc and they registered it just like any avt, etc.
Bamfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamfster View Post
In colorado you do not need the title to get the OHV tag. I took the cart's VIN, make model and cc and they registered it just like any avt, etc.
samething in wisconsin
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
hwill
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamfster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzamaker View Post
samething in wisconsin
That sounds like you only need to run just a decal. I'm pretty sure to get a license plate you need a title. And a plate and decal is now required here in Arizona. And the process to get the tag has us entering some numbers of the VIN along with the plate number.

After calling the MVD I need to take the cart in for a Level 1 inspection. This will let them look up the VIN to see if it has ever been registered. If it hasn't I was then told I need to contact Yamaha to get a Cert. of Origin. Then I can register it and get my tag.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Bamfster
Not Yet Wild

That makes sense then if they require it to be plated....carts are not legal to run on public streets in CO, so no registration w/DMV, etc.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
hwill
Not Yet Wild

Just an update:

Went to the MVD today for the level 1 inspection and got the paper work started for a bonded title. azboo was correct...thanks again.

So the correct way to get a title for a cart for registration is:
1. Get a Level 1 inspection....Free
2. Get paperwork from MVD for a Bonded Title....Free
3. Go to an insurance company and get a bond for the amount the MVD states....In my case the Bond was only $600 and the minimum fee is $100
4. Go back to the MVD and give them the paperwork and the Bond and get your plate and OHV tag...This is costing me $48

So I will be all good for $148

Thanks again azboo
Old 04-08-2009, 05:41 AM   #9
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the info. There's are hundreds of carts here without titles and with the change in the law they are going to need to be registered... and also lots of other atvs etc. Our sandrails all had to be titled this year. We can't even take them to the dunes anymore without registration. It's going to be alot harder to sell anything without one also, so everyone is going to have to bite the bullet sooner of later and go through the process. I've got one sitting at home right now that's going to have to get titled if we get it all together before it's sold as a project.

Thanks for reporting back to us.
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
Bamfster
Not Yet Wild

Since the state is requiring you to register/plate it, do they also require any kind of liability insurance? By registering/plating it, are you allowed to operate it on a public roadway?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha